Saturday, June 29, 2013

How much should I expect to spend on daycare?

best rated infant toys
 on Best rated baby toys for 6-12 months? at IMshopping
best rated infant toys image



cherokee


I will need to send my two month old daycare for about four months until my mother moves closer so that she can take care of him. I would like to send him/her to a daycare that I can trust not just some flea bag place. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Please let me know where you are from when answering the question. Thanks!



Answer
I live in Michigan and the center that I work at only offers a 3 day rate $150/wk and a 5 day rate $215/wk for infants. This is a lot of money, but you pay for what you get! Parents provide all food, bottles, and diapers. Each baby gets their own crib (does not change week to week). We provide the sheets, which are changed weekly. Once the child is on vitamin D milk, we provide the milk and snacks. Find a place that is close to your home. This will help if you get the day off and want to drop the baby in so you can go to the doctors for instance. Tour several places, and always drop-in. Make sure that they are in ratio, find out what they are for your state. See that staff are attentive to children. Check to see if it is clean (toys can be out, just not dirty). See how bottles, and food are stored. Best if refridgerator in the classroom so that staff does not have to leave room to retrieve food. See how bottles are heated. Ask what kind of training the staff has. Most are required to have CPR, First aid, etc. Go with your gut instinct. There is also a way that you can look up their liscence through your state website. Do this, as you can see any violations that they hold. And make sure that they are liscenced. This keeps centers safe, because they are monitored by the state. Good luck. Search now, because many centers have waiting lists for infants. Do not go with a center just because it is cheaper, there is likely a reason.

What are some tips for babysitting etiquette?




avegirl940


I am going to be babysitting and I was wondering if there were some tips about what I should do.. Like I know to leave the house cleaner then it was when I came, but is there any other etiquette I should know about?


Answer
Basic ediquite:

1)Show up a few minutes before you are supposed to be there(I usually am 5 minutes early), however, don't show up more than 10 minutes early.

2)Call if you are going to be late, and if you have to cancel, than do so as early as possible so they can find someone else.

3)Clean up anything the children play with, or any dishes they use. You don't have to clean the house, but be sure you put the toys and things the children used away.

4)Follow parents rules. If the kids are not allowed to play on the computer, or watch tv, etc do not break those rules. Most parents do not have rules so strict, but if they do set a rule about certain things(and they are specifically telling you), then do not allow the children to do it.

5)Follow bedtime. If the kids are supposed to go to bed at a certain time, then they should be in bed by then. You can stretch it to a half an hour past bed time, but nothing later than that. It looks as if you are irresponsible if the kids are supposed to go to bed at 8, and you allow them to be up until 9 or 10 o'clock.

6)If they do watch tv, make sure it is age appropriate. I don't care what the children say, if it is not for their age group, they are not allowed to watch it. You don't want to be putting on mom/dads movies for the kids. I stick to g rated movies only, and only other movies if the parents have said it was ok.

7)Don't allow the kids to pig out on junk food. I think a little extra is ok(I allow one little boy potato chips sometimes), even though I know that he usually does not eat it. I'm sure his mom/dad knows, b/c kids tell everything.

8)Most parents will give you free reign of the kitchen. I would suggest not opening things(bags of chips, boxes, etc), you don't know if they are saving them. I also would not eat them out of house and home.

9)No talking on the phone. If the kids are in bed ok, but you should not be using your phone otherwise.

10)Your time should be spent interacting with the kids. I know some babysitters pop on the tv and then let that do the work, but I think that is the wrong way. I prefer to play board games, color, play dough, etc. A little tv is fine, but not hours of it.

11)An extension of above... if you are watching toddlers, older infants(walking), there is nothing parents like more than to see you interact with them. They don't want to see you come in and sit on the couch while the baby entertains himself with toys.

I think the rest is common sense. Dress appropriately, be polite, act responsibly(you are the caregiver, don't act like one of the kids). You should be fine, don't dwell.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment