Thursday, September 12, 2013

Is it safe for a 6 month old to fly 18 hours?

best toys for infant on plane
 on Amazon.com: Infant Airplane Seat - Flyebaby Airplane Baby Comfort ...
best toys for infant on plane image



Meg C


Im planning a trip to S. Korea to see my husband, hes in the Air Force, and we want our 6 month old daughter to come with me. Has anyone flown for that length of time with an infant? How did they do? Any tips/tricks i should know about for keeping her quite? And how did the child do during take off/landing??


Answer
Safe absolutely. I flew with my 1 month old last month across the US (from origin to destination about 9 hours including layovers). Most of the newer planes have better pressurization than the old ones, so I had no problems with take off/landing and ears. He actually ate just before take off, and slept for most of the flight. I did have both a bottle and a pacifier ready in case his ears bothered him.

If any of the airline or airport officials offer help, say yes. The hardest part for me was actually security, but a TSA official helped me carry my bins to a bench so I could carry the baby. Also, at the bench, I was able to lay my baby on a blanket in the bin which kept him safe and confined while I put my shoes on, put my laptop back, put my liquids back, etc. I also had a flight attendant offer to put my bags in the overhead bin. I was also able to board early which helped me get the baby situated without feeling the pressure of other people trying to board. However, if you have a wiggly baby who hates to be confined, board last so you can confine them at the last possible minute.

I requested an aisle seat so I could move up and down the aisle, and stand up when necessary. Definitely take your car seat - check with the airline and compare just buying a full fare discount seat vs. a discounted with the airline infant seat price. Sometimes, you'll find it cheaper to buy the seat online. If your plane has the 2 seat only on the side- take it. You have to put the car seat against the window.

You know your child. If she is wiggly or likes to move around, plan on spending any gate time moving around, and letting her down to stretch. I am a baby wearer, so I was able to wear my baby in the airport with no problems, and on the plane. When I fly with him again, I will buy a seat to give him his own space.

With toys, the more you can secure them (think of the toys that attach to car seats) the less time you will spend diving under seats, and asking neighbors if you can have them back. Also, only bring out one or two toys at a time, putting them away before you bring out a new one. That way, baby will think they are new each time and you can get away with only 6 - 8 rather than a ton.

Be patient, and be calm. If you are trying to calm your crying baby, then other passengers tend to be nicer. My baby falls asleep in the car, and the plane was the same motion for him so he slept for the entire flight, only waking for food. It was the following day that was harder for me with the baby and the time zones. On the way back because I flew red eye, baby had no time zone adjustment problems.

What are somethings you look for for child care?




Aubrey's m


I'm thinking about starting up a child care business. I'm planing on getting certified, but I was just wondering what one looks for when deciding on what child care service to go with? Just want to hear from people that have put their children into child care, so I know what I could exceed at. Thank you!


Answer
Okay, I have worked in the child are field for 10 years and I have a baby so I am extremely anal when looking for child care, so here goes:

1) Caregiver must be CPR and first aid certified (child and infant)
2) Caregiver must be trained in ECE OR have lots of experience with young children
3) Small group setting (max of 5 children)
4) lots of opportunity for outside time
5) Activities - Creative time such as fingerpainting and getting messy, songs, stories, outings, cooking, different things each day, emergent curriculum (go with interests of children, not set themes), science, nature, etc.
6) For infants and toddlers - communication books
7) No smoking household
8) Clean house
9) Quiet areas for children to sleep
10) Healthy home-made meals following the food guide (1 meal and at least two snacks per day)
11) Everyone in the house must have a recent police check
12) What would you do in an emergency?
13) Back-up care if you are sick
14) Policies around vacation and sick days - parents should get two weeks a year of vacation where they do not have to pay
15) Safe, large areas for play (large fenced-in backyard, adequate shade, no dangers)
16) Age appropriate toys and activities
17) Use of TV - a big no-no for me and one of the reasons I pulled my daughter out of home daycare and enrolled her in a centre
18) Interest caregiver shows in my child (do they want to hold them?) and how they interact with other children
19) Discipline method - obviously parents would be looking for positive discipline
Good luck!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment