Tuesday, June 3, 2014

new innovative baby toys/educational products?




rosey


Any ideas of upcoming new innovative toys/educational products for infants? Now we have computer software for infants/toddlers. i.e. giggles, Pinitos123, jump start baby,etc... Do you think there is a market for baby learning products to be connected to the computer? Whether it is software or maybe even for the ipod? Give me your input!!!


Answer
We have a 10 month baby and we dont' beleive in introducing TV or computer stuffs to him at this age. We prefer him to learn the basic things.

We have a lot of home made toys for him. Gather a few plastic cups and put them up like a rising tower. He enjoys it when he can push the cups down.

Got a milk bottle and put some rice and colorful paper in it. He shake it and listen to the sound. Put other items in different bottle and he learn of other sounds.

Questions about my 10-month-old?




Jayamama


My daughter is a very determined, driven, busy little person, and I have the good fortune to be able to stay home with her. But I since she's my first, I'm not very sure of myself in certain areas. For example, because we live in a small town, there isn't much to do, so we stay at home much of the time. But she's getting to the point where she's so busy that she has to be on the move and exploring, and I think that she's getting bored. Besides going to church, the store, the park, and the library, are there other ideas for places to go? And how do I keep her entertained at home, besides playing with her toys and reading her books like I do already? She's too busy to stay still long with those sorts of things.

Another thing is her diet. I've been doing baby-led weaning, and she's still nursing a lot too. Almost every dinner, and lunch if she's not napping, I give her bits of what I'm having and she feeds herself. But I often find myself giving her easy foods for breakfast and snacks, like cheerios, goldfish, or occasionally applesauce. Are there any other ideas for quick and easy foods that are healthier? How do I help her learn to use a spoon?

The last thing is her sleep habits. She takes two great naps a day, but she's still waking up at night, sometimes every two hours. I think one or two of those times, she needs to nurse, but the rest are just for comfort. If I don't nurse her, she gets really upset, and it can take an upwards of an hour to get her back to sleep. (I always put her down awake, and she's got a good bedtime routine.) She's also really clingy during the day. Is this normal? Any ideas to change it?

Sorry it's so long. I'm just a little frustrated that it seems so many other moms have these great ideas for their kids, and I'm the type who likes the status quo. Unfortunately, babies don't stay the same, and I'm not sure I'm keeping up with her. Thank you!



Answer
It sounds like you're doing great so far. It can be overwhelming and lonely at times to be a stay-at-home parent to an infant.

Other ideas for where to go... Take walks in your neighborhood. Are there any museums or malls nearby that might have a child play area? Is there an infant or toddler storytime at your library? What about a moms' group in your community? I found a moms' group at my church where the moms got together a couple times a month to chat while the kids played. We'd meet at different places -- library, parks, McDonald's playland, museum, a room with toys at the church, etc. In addition to getting some adult contact and meeting new friends, I also was introduced to lots of great child-friendly activities in our area.

When my oldest was that age, we mostly did the same things you're doing. As she got older and learned to walk, we were able to branch out just a bit more because she could actually play on playgrounds, draw with chalk, take walks down the street, etc., so hang in there.

Other foods that are pretty easy for baby-led weaning...
-- bananas -- You'll probably have to hold the banana now, and you could even alternate bites with her so that you both share the banana.
-- Leftover veggies like peas, green beans, diced carrots, or corn -- you can even serve them cold, right from the fridge. Or buy the single serve packs of things like peas or cheesy broccoli so that you can eat them as a snack or with lunch instead of making a larger amount.
-- Pear slices
-- blueberries, strawberries, raspberries
-- grapes cut into quarters

As for learning to use a spoon, just keep letting her have a baby spoon when you feed her things like applesauce or yogurt. My oldest started "spoon feeding" one night in a restaurant when she had access to a cup of applesauce and a straw. She just kept dipping the straw in the applesauce and sucking it off. It kept her occupied for a good portion of the meal, which allowed us to eat in peace. :-) She was probably almost 1 at the time, although I really can't say for sure.

I've got nothing for you as far as sleep. My oldest started giving me 6-hour stretches around 9 months, but my other two were still nursing frequently at night up until they were almost 2. I didn't have the energy to fight it, so I just continued to bring them into my bed and nurse on and off all night as needed. I figured I was getting more sleep that way than by trying to keep putting them back in their own beds.

The clinginess is normal, and it will pass eventually. My oldest was very clingy as an infant and would even cry sometimes if little old ladies looked at her in the grocery store. She slowly started to outgrow it, and by the time she hit 3, she was confident and outgoing. She headed off to preschool (just two mornings a week at first) without a tear in her eye and has never struggled since. My younger two were pretty clingy as infants as well and have also grown into confident 7- and 5-year-olds. If you're desperate for a break, take it, and leave her with a trusted sitter, but if you're doing fine, she is, too. Babies this age weren't meant to be separated from their moms for very long, and she knows that. Go ahead and keep exposing her to new situations when possible, but don't feel like you have to leave her alone. She'll be just fine.

Hang in there!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment