Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Pl suggest toys or activities for an 8 month boy?




vs2008


My son will turn 8 months old in a few days. He has had a bouncy chair, play mat, books and variety of soft toys at home. He also likes to play with cell phone and TV remote as well as being shown colorful books. He has a jumperoo and lots of toys at the daycare. I am wondering if I should get a jumperoo for the weekend (at home). Does he need a swing?
What other toys would be stimulating for him for the coming months and year. If you have a suggestion, do let me know. My son likes playing with us, so I and my husband spend a lot of time going out for walks, swinging him around, singing and reading him books. What else should be fun for him?
Any suggestions you may have are welcome.
Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving.



Answer
Blow bubbles.

Balls (one of those tiny plastic pools and some ball pit balls (you can buy them at Wal Mart) is inexpensive and fun!

A swing, but not the infant kind (he is probably outgrowing that by now). My 6 month old LOVES to swing- we have the Little Tikes kind (we have a dolphin that is in like-new condition and we got it for our oldest child's first birthday, and she is almost 13 now) that looks like a dolphin. They also have airplane ones and ones that are not shaped but just as durable.

Look at One Step Ahead (dot com) and request a catalog. They have an indoor swing that you can hang in a doorframe like you do a Johnny Jumper. They have other indoor swings/slides and toys for infants.

My son will be 8 months old the day after Christmas, and I am getting him something from Toys R Us that looks like a shopping cart. He can push it around like a walker, but the top, front and sides have different activities such as a bead maze.

Play games such as Peek-A-Boo and do motions such as Itsy Bitsy Spider.

I recommend music- I love the Cedarmont Kids cds (they have lullabies, nursery rhymes, songs for babies, toddlers and older children. They also have Christmas music). I also have the Build Your Baby's Brain cds which I like (classical music) and my babies have liked as well.

Get one of those baby proof picture albums and put pictures in of various loved ones- you, dad, grandparents, etc.

A non-breakable mirror.

A wagon is my most recommended gift suggestion. Even my 12 year old and 10 year olds still play with our various wagons. You can pull your son now, later he can use it to pull his toys (or younger siblings!), and they come in handy when going to the park or beach to haul the necessities.

My son is on top of the growth chart...?

Q. The doctor told me my 10 1/2 month old is on top of the growth chart and is bigger then most kids his age. He's not concerned about his weight or anything though.

My son hasnt started crawling, walking, or pulling himself onto things. Could this be why? Because he's bigger? Should I be concerned about him not crawling yet? Or concerned about anything?


Answer
He is a late crawler, but not yet late on walking / cruising.

Big heads make babies walk later. But big babies can crawl just as soon as little babies.

People hate hearing this sometimes, but does he get lots of floor time? I mean on his back and on his belly on the floor. If a baby is worn constantly and also cosleeps they can do these things rather late do to limited practice and motivation. It isn't only do to being worn. Too much time in swings, jumpers, exersaucers etc. is also going to delay these things. They are seeing this more and more with infants as there are more "riding" type toys and more people wearing babies as well.

When a baby is laying down on their own (mom can watch close by of course!) is when they learn these skills.

But regardless, your boy is just a bit behind on the crawling, and just not ahead on cruising. Give him lots of floor time, and put a favorite toy just out of his reach.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment