Monday, April 28, 2014

How do I work with autistic child in a pool??




Becky


I am a swimming instructor at the YMCA and was recently asked to teach special needs. The child that I am supposed to teach is autistic. I taught him before and it was very difficult, it took me about 5 minutes just to get him into the deep end from the kiddy part where he could just walk in and out. He doesn't respond or listen when I talk to him, in his own little world and likes to push me away and have nothing to do with me. I thought about asking the mom about how to communicate with him but she is Chinese and can barely speak English. I want to be able to help this child but how do I go about doing more than just floating on a noodle? I don't want to force him to do some things (jumping in, floating, front glides etc.) I asked my boss about what I should do with him and he said...just swim around, but that's hard to do for 40 minutes...
Any suggestions???!!!



Answer
I think its amazing that you got him in the deep end in 5 minutes. It took me 15 minutes to get my 4 y/o son out of the car today to go to the park! I would strongly suggest you not force anything as this is very counter productive and you want this child to trust you. Here are a couple of fun pool games I play with my son.

1. Have him throw floating pool toys into the pool. You hold all the toys in a basket and hand him the toys one by one to throw in. After a few tries, see if you can count 1-2-3 and say go before he throws it in.

2. Sit on the side of the pool together and kick you legs to spread the toys around.

3. Once all the toys are floating around use a noodle under his arms to support him and encourage him to kick his legs. Use really good boat sounds to drive him around the pool and have him pick up each toy and then guide him back to the side. Pick up each toy and bring it to the side one by one so he can understand how you are cleaning up. If he is able, have him point out toys that need to be picked up.

4. Blow bubbles in the water. Put a noodle around you and around him. Float in the deep end together and try to get him to blow bubbles in the water with you.

5. Practice floating like stars on his back.

6. Hold him in your arms and jump up and down to make floating boats float on waves.

Go slowly. He needs to know he can trust you and you are not going to expect the impossible from him. Take baby steps and when you see what he can accomplish go a little further.
Take a look at the programs for moms/infants. See what they do and incorporate some of that into your class.

Best of luck and thanks for taking on such a challenging class.

Best device for 18-21 month old using swimming pool?




Sarah H


Last year I used a inflatable baby float and pushed my infant son around the pool. This year he is much bigger (25 pds)- is there a similar device that he would fit into? or some kind of life jacket/body suit that would fit him? He does not swim yet, and I plan on pushing/carrying him around the pool again.


Answer
there is still a baby float out there for that weight and age. I am not sure of the name of it try toys r us. We used one last year when my daughter was 22-26 months. You can always get one of those suits with the floaties built into it too.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment