Wednesday, May 15, 2013

What Are Your Thoughts About Exposing Infants To Television?

Q. My baby is only 3 months old and already stares at the tv when she is being changed or what not. I was CONSIDERING buying her some baby einstein videos to watch or look at while she is in her bouncer and I cook dinner or try and get dressed. Is that bad? Obviously I would never let the tv babysit my kid, but she is too young to hold toys or or sit up yet and I know the einstein videos are all music, shapes and colors. THOUGHTS?

A. There are no benefits to any tv program for a 3 month old baby, but if the tv is on while you are cooking or cleaning or whatever it would probably be better to have some kind of baby video on instead of some violent adult show full of foul language.


How do I get my pup to stop digging holes in my yard?
Q. Everytime I take him out to pee/poop he always digs holes. Ever since the snow melted. My landlord has told me its an issue and it needs to be stopped. I'm always outside with him, he's never left alone unless I'm the only one home and I'm nursing my infant. I've tried distracting him by playing fetch and with several other toys out there but he becomes not interested and starts digging. He's a 3 month old golden retriever/lab mix.

A. In the interests of not upsetting your landlord (and this is why so many rental properties exclude people with dogs!!) the moment he starts this, bring him in! Dogs usually dig because they have the opportunity, and are bored. More exercise now.


What are some tips for traveling with an infant?
Q. My husband and I, along with our now 3 month old son (he'll be about 5 months when we do travel), will be flying internationally from germany to the states and back, then from germany to Ireland and back. I know we need our passports, we've already have then... So does anyone have any tips for us? This will be the 1st time he's flown, hence the question. Thanks!!!

A. Been there done that...
- Diapers (Airlines might have it but keep some handy)
- Have medication for cough, cold and other general medicines.
- we had consulted the doctor on what needs to be done and any vaccination that needs to be taken when we are in the other country. Name of the medicine/vaccination in that country.
- Extra pair of clothes (2-3 pairs)
- Call the airline and ask them for the first seat. (that has the facility to put your baby into a pram like thing that gets attached to the wall before the seat.) Do this one well in advance as these go fast. To make sure when you reach the airport doubly make sure that they are giving you that seat. When you board the plane and when you reach the airport be the first to be there so that you get the first seat. Even if you call in advance when you reach the airport you might not get the seat and hence you have reach the airport well in advance.
- for in-flight - couple of small toys to keep the baby busy and MOST importantly pacifiers (specially while take off and landing as the pressure changes and the baby's ear get blocked and the baby does not know what to do, in this case pacifiers help.)
- Note that you might carry milk/milkbottle (as you might want to carry the brand that you are using like similac) etc but dispose of the milk when you reach the other country as they might fine you for bringing that into the other country.

It has been a few years and hence remember on this.

This link will be of help - http://www.flyingwithkids.com/





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment