Saturday, May 18, 2013

What should I bring when traveling/flying with an 8 month old baby?

Q. We are flying to Ohio for a week (2 flights about 2 hours each). I am packing, but want to make sure I don't forget anything. I have diapers, wipes, clothes, a few toys, etc. How many bottles should I bring? I nurse and pump everyday, but will probably mostly pump while we are there. Any other suggestions would be great!
We are only bringing two small carry on suitcases and the diaper bag because luggage costs so much.

A. I just traveled with my son who was 10 months at the time...God bless you! haha....Anyway, Things I took on the plane with me 2 hour flight plus time in the airport....Diapers, wipes, change of clothes, bib, 2 bottles, 1 can of formula, infant tylenol/motrin, orajel (hes teething pretty bad lately), Food (3 jars), spoons, snacks (cereal), sippy cup, toys (ones that don't make too much noise).

Things I brought in general for the trip....Clothes, PJs, stroller, car seat, toys, baby toiletries (soap, lotion, nail clippers, nasal aspirator, brush, diaper rash cream, baby monitors (we were staying with family, so I was able to put him down for a nap, and still go outside by the pool). Towel and washclothes, sunblock.

I bought food, formula, and diapers when I got there. My relatives also borrowed a lot of baby gear from a friend so I had things there (Pack n Play, walker, high chair).

Check your airlines policies. There usually isn't a charge for checking carseat, strollers, or bassinets (pack n play), even if the child is flying on your lap. You are also allowed to bring the diaper bag plus your carry ons...the diaper bag does not count as your carry on.

Best of luck. I hope you are not traveling alone, and will have help, my son was very good and slept the entire flight there, and if it weren't for my fiance and my mother traveling with us, I would have had a nervous break down.


How to help infants in the car?
Q. We are traveling 5 hours to upstate NY this weekend with a 3 year old and a 6 month old. The 3 year old is fine in the car, but the 6 month old screams the whole time. Does anyone have any suggestions as to help this? It is not car sickness or reflux, I think it is just boredom. Thanks a million for all of your help in advance.

A. My husband and I took a trip from MA to PA (6-7 hour trip) when my daughter was 10 months old. The best way we did it was to wake her up in the middle of the night (1:00am) start driving and let her fall back to sleep in the car. Then when she woke up at 6:00 we only had an hour or two left. We stopped and had breakfast, changed her and let her play for 20-30 minutes. When we got back in the car we only had 1 hour left and she was great.

We brought books and toys and don't forget the pacifier (bring a few so when he/she throws it you have more). Plus you have an added bonus, the 3 year old can sing songs and show pictures and toys to him/her. Teach the 3 year old to make faces to make the baby smile and sing baby songs. Give him a reward for helping you! Good Luck!


What was your experience traveling with your baby/toddler?
Q. Any tips from your personal experience would be great. Can you also say what age your baby was the first time you traveled with him/her & how you prefer to travel? Etc...

Also, what are some items you would recommend (or you think are absolutely necessary) for traveling with a 6 month old baby? & Do you think it would it be better to drive or take a plane or train?

Thanks :)

A. We have traveled by plane and car several times with our infants and toddlers. Very often we visit my parents in Toronto during the winter break, and with seven children, we have brought our fair share of small children back and forth at least once every year.

My tips are pretty common-sense and are probably things you have already considered, but here they are:

1. Bring some plastic bags that are easy to reach during the trip. Why? Because children get messy and a garbage container isn't always close by. Dirty undies, half eaten goodies, wipes, wet clothes... all these things are likely to happen with little ones and you don't want to be puzzled and grossed out while trying to put these things away.

2. Make sure you pack medication in an easy to reach place in your bag. Prescriptions meds go without saying. Things like tylenol, cough syrup, aspirin for you, a thermometer and band-aids could be your life savers. I don't always use them, but the few times I forgot to bring them were the time I needed them urgently.

3. Do not stuff your bags or trunks with toys, coloring books and movies for the children. By the end of the trip you are likely to realize that most of the stuff you carried went unnoticed and it only robbed you of space and energy by having to carry them around. Plus, some things might get lost if you bring tons of things. If your child is old enough, involves him or her in choosing which toys will come and which will wait at home. If your baby is too little, bring a blankie or something to help him or her sleep and a small trinket to keep them entertained.

4. If you are flying and/or if it is desirable, divide the family into two groups for the trip. We do this when we need to be very practical. My husband or I leave first with most of the luggage and the older children, and the other one follows a few days later with the little children. It isn't the idealized image of a happy family trip with road-trip songs and fun, but it gets us where we want to go quickly and more relaxed. That way, we only have to focus on a few things instead of having to juggle everything at the same time.

5. Bring fresh, comfort food for the trip. We always bring our own lunches and fruits, regardless of the means of transportation. Something dry and easy to eat for the kids is my best bet.

6. If your child is old enough to understand, explain the logistics of the trip. Even if it seems pointless, it helps a little to run over the new things they will be facing (airport crowd, homeland security, long hours sitting inside the car) and also announce that potty time is going to be trickier than usual.

7. If you are traveling by plane or train, ask the travel agency about family-friendly seats. I prefer them. Sitting with other children keeps the kids happier and also spares us most of the anguish of facing annoyed adult fellow-travelers.

I love to travel by train, but the chances are rare and far-between. Driving is fun for certain occassions. If we have plenty of time to get to our destination and it is reasonably close, we will get the old suburban out of the garage and enjoy a family trip. I love the plane because it is quick, but the overall experience of airport, airport security and the plane itself isn't fun for the kids or for us.

Have fun and good luck with your trip.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment