Thursday, February 13, 2014

Why do all parents think their kids are smart?




xfileaddic


Truth is: kids are stupid. Only about 1 in a million is actually VERY intelligent. Odds are your child is not going to grow up to be the next President, or a CEO, or a Doctor, or a Lawyer. Odds are they are going to be run of the mill hard working American slaves like the rest of the people living in America. To those of you who believe your child is SOO smart, do you believe you are the World's Greatest Mom or World's Greatest Dad like it says on your coffee cups? You are not the Worlds Greatest anything. You are just another regular plain old parent.


Answer
Actually I know what you mean...

But - my IQ is well over 140 and my children were all pretty much band geeks, Latin Award winners, Math Award winners, AP/Honors students and even the younger ones are in GT. I've got three in college at major universities right now (majors are: Administration of Criminal Justice, History/will Major in Education, and music Education)

The only one of the seven of them that's not a fair nickel near genius is my 14 year old who's autistic.

However... when I recently remarried and inherited what I'm told is a fairly "normal" teenager, I was stunned at how "slow" she appeared to me. When the rest of the kids are sitting around the table at dinner bantering some historical, math, music thing about, she just sits there, deer in headlights, like a fly could fly into her mouth.

She's capable... she just has to work harder to make up for the lack of natural intelligence.

One of my "most genius" kids did 2 1/2 years at a major university, first as a math major, then as a philosophy major, then burned his brain out on drugs and alcohol. How smart was that? Now he works in the warehouse of a retail toy store. His older brother who was never quite as "smart" in school is almost done with his degree, works for a major retail chain as a store director and makes enough money already that he drives a nice car and owns a huge home in a nearby town.

I hate Mother's Day. I don't think I'm the world's greatest anything. I struggle every day to do the best I can at parenting and many days I fall short. But... I keep trying and they're turning out okay for the most part. So... "smart" is what you make of what you have. True intelligence is being able and willing to access information and then using it to the best of your ability in every way. You don't have to know it all. You just need to want it all.

Odds are my children will grow up to be:

1) a Criminologist for the FBI
2) a retail worker who will struggle his whole life
3) a History teacher at the local community college
4) a Band instructor at the local high school
5) an autistic adult who will live in a group home/supported setting
6) a Vet Tech (God-willing, this is what the stepdaughter wants to do
7) an Attorney or Archaeologist (the 12 year old is undecided)
8) whatever a 10 year old videogamer and chess genius decides for himself

I'm not regular or plain as a parent. I'm strict, I have high expectations and I do not spoil them. They work, they earn, they achieve, they learn. Apparently this is no longer "normal."

I am a bit curious as to why you seem a bit bitter. Friends with kids and lots of pictures/bragging rights perhaps. If you become a parent, you'll understand why all parents want to believe their children are so smart. It's like thinking you have the coolest car or the hottest girlfriend. Someday you'll look into the face of an infant and want to jump up onto the roof and tell the world "Look what I did!!! I made this beautiful baby!!!!" and then you'll totally get it :)

Nursery of child minder ?




Neilsbaby


I am going back to work full time after my baby is born. When he/she is 6months old I will need fulll time child care. What are the pros and cons of each ? Please share your experiences and why you would finally chose the place you did !


Answer
I don't know what your definition of child minder or nursery is but I use either a In-home daycare: a home where 10-20 children are watch by two or three adults, or a Childcare Center; each age level has a different room with one teacher, infant rooms have three or four teachers. Hopefully this helps you out.

If you are talking about a child minder being a nanny or babysitter...this could be a good idea if you know the person and can trust them fully, the child would not get a lot of socializing which I have found to be a VERY important part of my daughters life(she was very distructive, loud, didn't share with other kids, bullied kids...now a lot of that has changed thanks to our provider)...she can have FRIENDS to talk about and play with. You could arrange for special play dates with other children in your neighborhood or community that could help in the socializing...this may cost more? What would you do for back-up if your nanny gets sick?

I tried two types of child care, the one I like best is an in home preschool when I was in high school I had a chance to visit daycares and see how they ran their centers and how the children were treated and so on and then had to right a report...I put my child in an in-home daycare because I knew she was safe the center was right next to the school she will be going to next year, it is in our area that we plan to live, this way she has a strong relationship with at least one person from daycare. My mom was an in-home center also...they are a little cheaper and a little bit more homey. I tried New Horizon and the teacher was not as happy to be there and play with the kids as I wanted her to be. The kids just seemed to do as they pleased and run around.

Thing to consider when chooseing a daycare are:
-how many adults are there at all times...the ratio is like 1:10
-how many babies are there? 1:2 ratio
-what is there backround
-any schooling
-visiting? can you visit whenever you want?
-how does your provider inform you of what is going on? calendars, newsletter, emails?
-any awards? credits from the county
-what do other parents say about this provider
-how long have they been doing childcare?
-how do you feel when you arrive?
-do they have saftey undercontrol? gates on stairs? locks on cupboards, cleaning supplies up high, medication up high?
-how does your child interact with the provider?
-ask the provider if they have had any complaints? call and ask the county for reports on this provider
-do they keep their schedule the same everyday? other than field trips or special occasions.
-do they have diversity with in the center?
-how do they conduct free play?
-how often are toys cleaned? carpets? sanitized?
-what if your child is sick, what is their policy
-what happens when you take a vacation or have a day off? Is there a price difference?
-Do they have back-up provider for illnesses?
-How do they dicepline children?
all of these things should be available to you at anytime

Visit at least 10 different homes before you decide...you can start now...that would be best finding places for infants is hard because you can not have a lot of them in one place.

Ask the same questions for each and keep a list with you to record your findings. Make sure you are watching the children, how they interact with each other and the providers.

A center that I went to we sat for just a half an hour and during that time, I watched kids run around with yucky noses, hitting others, a little boy went into the bathroom to go potty and another child went in with him and the "teacher" did not even see it...nothing happened thank goodness I would have had to interupt. Another child was hit and went to the teacher and they did nothing about it. If that was your child...how would you feel! At my in-home daycare they don't always step in but they give the children "WORDS" to use instead of hitting or bitting ect. There are always three adult, two at a time, one with the babies and one with the preschoolers, that way if one needs to be out of the room there is someone to cover at all times.

Price: I pay $119 a week for a preschool teacher to care for my child outside of my home, in her building. My daughter is there for 45 hours a week = 2.64 I pay an hour.

When I had my child in a center: I paid $37 for her to be there one day a week for five hours = $7.40 and hour = $170 a week




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment