Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Registering for baby shower?




poohb2878


So I need to register for my baby shower soon (I'm 28 weeks pregnant). What exactly do I register for/need. I know the obvious big ticket items, but what about toys for when the baby is older? Is it appropriate to register for things I won't actually need for 3-6 months? Or do I only register for what I'll need immediately? Also - can I register for books and whatnot for the baby? Thanks!


Answer
First of all, congratulations on your impending new arrival!! This is such an exciting time in your life!!

Registering can be overwhelming. A couple of things I wish I had known:

Keep your registry relatively short. For example, instead of scanning every cute baby outfit you see, choose one or two that you *love.* Unfortunately, it's true (especially with clothes and toys) that most people buy what *they* think is cute rather than what you've registered for. Keep this in mind and don't worry too much about registering for those two items. You will get *tons* of clothes and toys (and books) from the shower, friends, grandparents, etc., especially if this is your first baby. I would register only for things that were very specific to my taste, like the bedding for the crib, the high chair, the bouncy seat, etc. (Although it is fine to register for baby books, toys and clothes if you want to - just remember that you will only get a small percentage of the things you register for, which is why I recommend you keep it short and choose only the items you just love.)

Next, I would register for size 2 diapers and size 3-6 month clothes. Again, most people will get you size newborn or size 1 diapers and size 0-3 month clothes. The thing is, baby outgrows that stuff in a flash. If you encourage people to get the next size up, you will get a lot more use out of it. Just keep in mind the season change when you are registering for clothes (what season will it be when your baby is 2/3 months old? That's when s/he will need the 3-6 month stuff.)

Finally, I would scan just ONE item from categories like hooded towels, washcloths, bibs, blankets, shoes, etc. This helps keep your registry short, helps ensure you don't get 5 hooded towels but no washcloths, but also gives people an idea of your tastes - they can see if you've registered for all the classic Pooh stuff, or all the pink and frilly stuff, that that is what you'd prefer.

So my registry would be something like this:

1 Baby bedding set (bumper, comforter, etc.)
1 coordinating sheet
1 changing pad
1 changing pad cover
1 baby monitor
1 hooded towel
1 pack of washcloths
1-2 outfits, size 3-6 months
1 pair of shoes, size 2
1 pack of burp cloths
1 pack of bottles (even if you plan on nursing)
1 pacifier
1 grooming set (comb, nail clippers, thermometer, etc.)
1 pack of spoons
1 baby bath tub (these are great to have at first)
1 Boppy pillow (also a must, I *loved* mine)
1-2 packs of Pampers Swaddlers, size 2
1-2 packs of wipes

Then the biggies - a high chair, a bassinet or co-sleeper, a play yard/Pack n Play, a stroller/infant carrier combo, and a car seat.

Obviously, you will want to add to this list, but in my opinion, (as a mom of two little ones) those are the real essentials. Keeping in mind too, (unless there are going to be 50 or more people at your shower) that you will still need to buy some stuff yourself, a gift registry is just meant to give people an idea of what you'd like. The above list gives them a great price range too.

Personally, I think a good rule of thumb for how many items to register for, is how many people did you invite to the shower? If you invited 20, don't register for much more than 20 items, total. A longer registry just overwhelms your guests anyway, increasing the likelihood that they will just buy the first thing they see that's in their price range (that you may not like,) instead of hunting for something from the registry.

It's really fun to register for your baby shower, so enjoy the day, and congratulations again!

What kind of things do you add to your baby registry?




Amy


I have no idea where to begin.. or end, for that matter.


Answer
I went to babies r us and Target. At first I wasn't going to go to babies r us, but it is amazing how much more they have than Target.

First do not register for any cute clothes. That is what most people will buy you so why register and get more outfits than you will know what to do with.

Here are some things for your registry

Bottles -even if you are breastfeeding put dowm some bottles just in case.
Bottle brush cleaner
Bottle drying rack
Swing
play mat
some toys
infant tub
hooded towels
washclothes
baby bath soap- johnsons or aveeno - I love aveeno
diapers- i wouldn't put tons of size 1 or 2 (maybe 2 boxes of each and I never bought newborn diapers)
wipes
stroller and carseat- put down for an extra base if you have more than one car
blankets- i got tons of these but you never know if you will get a lot or not
socks
sleepers, gowns
onesies ( 0-3 months, 3-6 months, 6-9 months
high chair ( personally I love the Fisher Price Space Saver)
crib
changing table not a necessity but I love mine for changing and storage
thermometer
baby medicine like mylicon drops, fever reducer


That is all I can think of for now. Good luck




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment