Saturday, February 15, 2014

Newborn in daycare?




LovinLife


I am a new mom of a 10 week old. I went back to work part time, five hours a day four days a week and I'm looking into childcare. My grandmother watches my son right now but she's 80 and has a very social life so I'm going to eventually move my son to daycare. What should I be looking for in a daycare? It scares me to think of my son being with strangers, I fear they won't care for him like his family would and he would be left to lay in a crib for five hours and cry rather than held and loved. How did you adjust to daycare? What was most important for you?
Get off your pedstals! I'm working 20 hours a week to survive. I would think providing for your child is as important as quality childcare! If I could afford to stay home I would! My son's father and mother love him dearly and WORK to provide not escape. Save your stay at home mom speeches for your bathroom mirror.



Answer
I worked in a daycare with infants for 2 1/2 years. I didn't need any experience either to get a job. Now that scares me to know just anybody would be working there. Make sure to ask about how much experience they must have to be hired. The second daycare I worked at required a year and a half experience, so I was good to go.

I would look to see if they have camera's in the room that somebody monitors. Look at the rooms to see if they look safe. Observe through a window to see how they work in the room. It's good to see the providers on the floor with the kids. If the kids are on the floor and the providers are sitting in chairs chatting with each other....that's not good at all.

Check out the food menu's to see what type of food is served. We had to follow USDA regulations and the food was very good!

You really want to see interactions between the baby's and providers. We weren't aloud to keep the baby's in the cribs if they were awake. We had an area with a soft comforter and infant toys available. We would lay the babies in that area and they were be safe from the bigger kids that walked. We would be down there with them playing.

Our room was from 6 or 9 weeks (can't remember) to 18 months. There would be providers with the infants seperated from the older ones so none of them got hurt. You don't want to see infants laying on a blanket with toddlers walking around or over them. That's scary!

Even for the almost newborns, we had a chart by ages that we had to follow daily for activities.

Returning to school, newborn in daycare?

Q. My baby girl will be 4 weeks old wednesday and sadly i have to go back to school monday. I'm a senior and my school has a daycare for young women like myself.

She is still so young and i don't know what to put in a diaper bag. I will be able to come see her during class changes, and at lunch. But all in all she will be there for about 8 hours a day.

What would you put in a diaper bag? also can you give numbers like ex: 6 diapers, 2 onesies etc.

Thank you


Answer
At 4 weeks I would put in the following. More is better I always say:

10 diapers,
1 Diaper Rash Cream,
1 box of wipes
1 Pacifier,
2 Onsies (In case of accident),
favorite toys maybe 2?,
6 bottles with your milk or formula (6 feedings, just in case)
Burp Rags 2,
1 Thermometer,
Infant Drops Tylenol with instructions for use (if she gets sick)
1 Blanket

That should do it! If you have been keeping count of her feedings diaper changes etc, I would always do a few more of each, just in case. :)




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment