Friday, November 22, 2013

What would be good Christmas gifts for a 1 year old girl and 2 year old boy?

best infant toys 1 year
 on best infant toys 1 year on Best Gifts for 1 year old Girls
best infant toys 1 year image



hplss.rmnt


I'm going shopping on Friday for my 1 year old niece and 2 year old nephew. I don't really have any experience with children, so I have no idea what to get them for Christmas. Do you have any suggestions?


Answer
If the one year old can walk get her a little car she can hold onto in the back that she can push (helps them learn to walk better) theres this red and blue car at toys R us for $20. For a 2 year old boy, big blocks my son loves to stack them then kick them down. Also for the one year old, it all depends on if they crawl or walk, but go down the infant toy aisle for the one year old, the have things from age 0-18 months. Good luck finding something!

What do I need to know about flying with a 1 year old for the first time?




zelkraps


I have a family emergency to tend to and I am going to be flying solo with my 1 year old for the first time on Sunday. I am reading up on flying with a toddler right now, but I was hoping to find someone who has done this and can share some tips with me.


Answer
Sorry to hear you're traveling under stress.

I'm a former Flight Attendant and I fly alone with my three children about twice a year between Europe and California, plus other flights...

First of all, it's more comfortable and safer if she has her own seat and you bring her car seat on board. If it's a long flight, she's more likely to sleep and less likely to disturb others. If you need the car seat at your destination This is the only way to transport it safely. Never check a car seat in as luggage! They are too often lost and/or broken in transit and sounds like you don't need another worry!

If you don't want to buy her a seat, find out if the flight is full and ask nicely at check-in if you can have an empty seat next to yours'. Bring the car seat to the gate even if they aren't positive you'll succeed because if you don't manage it, the car seat will be "gate-checked". This is no guarantee but better than luggage-checking it.

If she still fits in her infant seat and it's part of a "travel system" you're set. I didn't have a travel system so I snapped the infant seat into a stroller frame. Later on, with a convertible seat, I checked or borrowed a stroller at my destination and then strapped my car seat to a metal luggage cart. Secured with an extra bungee, I could roll this through the airport. I either wore my youngest in ring sling or she rode on this contraption. Some parents attach the car seat to the stroller, sometimes with bungee cords. See what works for you.

Instead of a fiddly purse and diaper bag, opt for a largesh backpack. Make sure you have enough diapers (you go through more than normally when traveling), a change of clothes and some never-been-seen toys. Pull these out as needed. A good time is on the tarmac, when she has to be seated (or in your lap). The TSA allows those flying with children to bring a "reasonable" quantity of liquids expressly for the child so don't fret over any drinks or milk you need. I've never heard of the "reasonable" level being challenged so just bring the snacks and drinks you need (please note, even if the TSA officer does object, they only take it away from you).

Please note that it's a myth the babies have to drink or suck on something for take-off and landing. If you have the car seat on board, make sure she's safely strapped in during those times. Just feed her when she wants. I rarely saw children having "ear problems" on flights and quite frankly, if they cried, it was for another reason. I would take mine to the ped to have their ears checked before flying. You probably don't have time to do the same but if she hasn't had a recent cold or other symptoms of an ear infection, she should be fine. The AAP simply recommends that the child be awake not on landing (which is too late) but at the TOP of descent, when you'll feel your own ears changing pressurization.

Practice changing her standing up before you leave. This was a great tip my cousin gave me. She's at the age where she probably wont want to lie down in a strange place and too big for most airplane changing tables. I would opt for the handicapped lav, which is bigger and do the deed there. This also solves the problem of separating from her. If she's asleep in her car seat, and strapped in, you can leave her but tell someone nearby or a Flight Attendant where you are. Once, my son woke up and the nice gentleman next to him pointed to the lav up front and told her where I was. Sure enough, I emerged...

For more information, nine years ago I wrote an article on this subject. It's based on both my personal and professional experience of flying with children. I go more into detail on all of the above. It's totally non-commercial and other parents from around the world have contributed;
http://flyingwithchildren1.blogspot.com

Have a good trip and hope there is a positive outcome!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment