Friday, May 16, 2014

Nursery of child minder ?




Neilsbaby


I am going back to work full time after my baby is born. When he/she is 6months old I will need fulll time child care. What are the pros and cons of each ? Please share your experiences and why you would finally chose the place you did !


Answer
I don't know what your definition of child minder or nursery is but I use either a In-home daycare: a home where 10-20 children are watch by two or three adults, or a Childcare Center; each age level has a different room with one teacher, infant rooms have three or four teachers. Hopefully this helps you out.

If you are talking about a child minder being a nanny or babysitter...this could be a good idea if you know the person and can trust them fully, the child would not get a lot of socializing which I have found to be a VERY important part of my daughters life(she was very distructive, loud, didn't share with other kids, bullied kids...now a lot of that has changed thanks to our provider)...she can have FRIENDS to talk about and play with. You could arrange for special play dates with other children in your neighborhood or community that could help in the socializing...this may cost more? What would you do for back-up if your nanny gets sick?

I tried two types of child care, the one I like best is an in home preschool when I was in high school I had a chance to visit daycares and see how they ran their centers and how the children were treated and so on and then had to right a report...I put my child in an in-home daycare because I knew she was safe the center was right next to the school she will be going to next year, it is in our area that we plan to live, this way she has a strong relationship with at least one person from daycare. My mom was an in-home center also...they are a little cheaper and a little bit more homey. I tried New Horizon and the teacher was not as happy to be there and play with the kids as I wanted her to be. The kids just seemed to do as they pleased and run around.

Thing to consider when chooseing a daycare are:
-how many adults are there at all times...the ratio is like 1:10
-how many babies are there? 1:2 ratio
-what is there backround
-any schooling
-visiting? can you visit whenever you want?
-how does your provider inform you of what is going on? calendars, newsletter, emails?
-any awards? credits from the county
-what do other parents say about this provider
-how long have they been doing childcare?
-how do you feel when you arrive?
-do they have saftey undercontrol? gates on stairs? locks on cupboards, cleaning supplies up high, medication up high?
-how does your child interact with the provider?
-ask the provider if they have had any complaints? call and ask the county for reports on this provider
-do they keep their schedule the same everyday? other than field trips or special occasions.
-do they have diversity with in the center?
-how do they conduct free play?
-how often are toys cleaned? carpets? sanitized?
-what if your child is sick, what is their policy
-what happens when you take a vacation or have a day off? Is there a price difference?
-Do they have back-up provider for illnesses?
-How do they dicepline children?
all of these things should be available to you at anytime

Visit at least 10 different homes before you decide...you can start now...that would be best finding places for infants is hard because you can not have a lot of them in one place.

Ask the same questions for each and keep a list with you to record your findings. Make sure you are watching the children, how they interact with each other and the providers.

A center that I went to we sat for just a half an hour and during that time, I watched kids run around with yucky noses, hitting others, a little boy went into the bathroom to go potty and another child went in with him and the "teacher" did not even see it...nothing happened thank goodness I would have had to interupt. Another child was hit and went to the teacher and they did nothing about it. If that was your child...how would you feel! At my in-home daycare they don't always step in but they give the children "WORDS" to use instead of hitting or bitting ect. There are always three adult, two at a time, one with the babies and one with the preschoolers, that way if one needs to be out of the room there is someone to cover at all times.

Price: I pay $119 a week for a preschool teacher to care for my child outside of my home, in her building. My daughter is there for 45 hours a week = 2.64 I pay an hour.

When I had my child in a center: I paid $37 for her to be there one day a week for five hours = $7.40 and hour = $170 a week

What specific things should parents do to foster a strong work ethic & love of learning in their children?




Margaret L


How early would you start and exactly what would you do.


Answer
THIS IS LONG BUT REALLY WORTH READING!

I'll try to keep this as short as I can...

1. start as young as possible. If your child is still an infant, get yourself into good habits. Be what you want your child to be- because that's what happens, your kids really will grow up to be just like you and your spouse. SET A GOOD EXAMPLE! If you want your child to care about what's happening in the world- get into the habit of watching CNN. If there's something interesting in the news, share it with your child. Kids are naturally curious.

2. Many parents go to work for 8-10 hours a day and think that is a good example of work ethic for their kid: it's not. Kid's don't understand how hard you actually work unless they see it and do it themselves. When I was a kid, I thought my dad was so lucky to go to his huge office that always had fresh bagels and doughnuts and I had to be in school. When he took me to Daughter to Work day and had me helping him with his job for all 10 hours I really understood why he came home exhasted some nights! You need to SHOW your kid how hard you work, not just tell them or expect them to understand. Kids also need a lot of reminding-even the smartest ones.

3. Nurture, Nurture, Nurture! Make learning a fun and exciting thing that you do together. You can do many fun educational activities together- here is a small list of things I enjoyed doing with my parents:
1. Home science kits. You can find these almost any where- national geographic even has a series of them at Target. I loved, loved, loved doing science exparements when I was a kid (and ended up majoring in Biochemistry in college- coincedience? I think not)
2. Read to your child. It doesn't matter if it's Harry Potter, Goosebumps, Award winning children's books- whatever interestes your kid.
3. Rent/tivo good documentaries.

4. Teach them how rewarding it is to get good grades.
One system my parents used were those old fashioned star stickers. If I got anything below an 80% I got no sticker. 80-85 I got a blue sticker, 85-90 green, and so on. If I got 100% I got a silver sticker and if I got extra credit I got a gold sticker. Each color sticker was worth points-Gold being the highest. My parents would set up activities worth different amounts of points. Going to the movies cost less points than going to the water park, etc. If I got mostly A's and saved my points, I got to go to Disney land. By God I worked hard and saved my points and we went. The reason my parents used activities instead of toys was so I could also learn about money.

5. Reward your kid for a job well done- don't reward your kid for something they are expected to do. If your child keeps his room clean- good for him. If he goes out of his way to re-organize his desk (which you might want to suggest) reward him with money. Your child will learn that he benefits from really working hard at things and not just stopping at the basics. Once you start suggesting things to do as extras, he'll start finding things to do on his own. When I was 14, my parents would pay me if I had dinner made for them when they got home and would tip me if I cleaned up my mess. I was a mini Martha Stewart before I was even in HS. I even went out of my way to clean up dog poop because I really wanted an expensive pair of shoes.

It doesn't matter if you have money to blow on your child- don't spoil them. Buy them enough to keep them content and make them work for anything extra. It's not child abuse to only buy them two video games or stop after buying two dolls.

Make it a way of life for your whole family- not just something you focus on when it comes to your child. Step up your game- so to speak- you'll benefit from just doing that.

A few intereting things about my life to prove that you grow up to be like your parents:

My dad bought his first house at 19- I bought mine at 20
Both of my parents used to read at night before bed- I read in bed most nights and now my 21mo old daughter plays with books more than any of her toys.
My dad and a friend started a business. Curious- I married a business owner and after studying Biochemistry in college, I ended up going into business for myself.
Both of my parents don't go out with friends they much, they prefer to stay in. Now that I'm married I find myself doing the same.

Good luck!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment