Tuesday, May 13, 2014

are extreme, inconsolable tantrums normal in an infant under 1 year old?




shallan a


I am a professional nanny and have started a new position a few weeks ago. I am taking care of a 2.5 year old and 11.5 month old boys

the 11.5 month old is generally super happy, but it seems he has only 2 moods, happy or tantrum.

he can be playing clamly by himself or with me when out of nowhere he is screaming at the top of his lungs and throwing himself on the floor. once he goes into this mode it lasts for a long time, anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour or more. nothing i do seems to help him calm down. i change his diaper, offer him different food choices, milk, water, games, cuddles, tv. absolutely nothing will stop his screaming until he is ready to stop. he screams for such a long time and so hard that his lips turn blue and he shakes like he is freezing, i cant tell if he looks angry or more scared. he also has a tantrum everytime he wakes from a nap or night sleep.

I talked to his mom about it and she said he had had tantrums since he was 3 weeks old.

this seems very strange to me, in all my experience working with young children i have never come across behaviour like this that cannot be altered with positive reinforcement.

he also hardly eats anything, he is very skinny (his ribs, hips and spine are more prominent than normal infants. he has less muscle mass than a 7 month old i also take care of. he does not put any weight on his legs even when i hold him up.

his older brother had not had any of the behavioral or eating issues that this little boy has.

any advice on what could be wrong, if this is normal, and what i can do would be greatly appreciated.

thank you!



Answer
Hi, I have a 11 month old son. He does not cause tantrums as long as your little boy does, but he does scream, shout and gets irriatable at times. He is a very hyper little boy, always playing crawling, trying to walk and talk and play with alomst anything that comes in his way. And when it comes to feeding it is a big challenge.... I have seen my freinds babies quietly and happily drink their milk and finish their food but my son has his bottle in one hand and a toy in the other and his eyes distracted on something.. It is difficult getting him to finish his food or drink milk or anything as he is very active. Compared to all my friends and families babies, he is not as big as they are but he is more active and stronger in his movements then they are. In the beginning, I was concerned that he was putting on much weight as other babies around his age, so we took him to the doctors just to be sure, however, Thank God, the results all came out well, and the doctors said that though he looked small, he was not unhealthy and his weight was just right.. Not too big and not too small. Now coming to the tantrum part, my son used to scream shout and cry, and one day as he was doing so and I tried everything to calm him down, I started to sing and fan him and he instantly got quiet... And now when he starts his tantrum I do the same and it works..
In your case I do firstly suggest that you talk to his mom and ask to see a doctor just to make sure he is not crying and yelling because of something thats hurting him. My sisters son used to throw very large tantrums like throwing himself on the floor and throwing things, yelling and crying, and she tried everything then also took him too the doctors and founf out there was nothing wrong, all he wanted was attention..... Hope this helps you a little.. all the best an dhope baby starts being happy all th etime :)))

car seat for 1 year old?




linda d


what is a good car seat for my soon to be 1 year old son??? He is in a infant car seat right now but is just about outgrowing it. I need something easy to buckle as i am always in and out of the car with him. I would also like a cup holder on the side and i would like a car seat under $100.00...I want one from either target, walmart or toys r us??


Answer
Target has a wide selection on car seats that under a 100 bucks. I recently purchased a Graco model that has a cup holder on the side and easy to put my 1 year old in and it was only 60 bucks. Good luck!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment