Monday, August 19, 2013

How do you disinfect toys and such with clorox?

best way to clean infant toys
 on best way to clean baby bottles ,
best way to clean infant toys image



Laura M


What's the mixture? How much of clorox and what else?
Do you need to rinse the toys off after the clorox?
I know these may sound like stupid questions for some people, but I honestly don't know. I have just been boiling water and sanitizing that way.



Answer
I have been a child care provider in my home for 20 years plus I organize toy cleaning sessions for the nursery, toddler, and preschool rooms at our church. If you are just wanting to keep the toys clean that typically just your child uses at your home then one of the best and easiest ways to do this is to put them on the top shelf of your dishwasher and run them through a cycle. For toys that are not dishwasher safe or too large than you can just keep them washed with warm soapy water and rinsed well afterwards. Disinfection for normal home use really isn't needed, but if your child has been ill (especially with anything stomach related) or has had a playmate over who has put toys in her mouth or showed signs of illness than you may feel better to disinfect them. This is the method I use for my daycare toys and what we do at our church: First, wash hard surfaced items in warm soapy water (we use regular dish soap - Dawn) either in a dishpan or with a cloth. Use a scrub brush for exceptionally dirty items and on toys with crevices. After washing, rinse with lots of clear water to thoroughly remove soap residue. In a large container (I use either a dishpan or a mop bucket), put 1 gallon warm tap water. Add 1 Tablespoon household bleach to the water than add the toys to cover. Allow to sit in the bleach water a few minutes than remove and let air dry at least overnight. Discard the bleach water after use. It is not toxic to drain systems and can be dumped down the sink or toilet. Many people are nervous about leaving the bleach water solution on the toys, but bleach breaks down very quickly and returns to it's original state of salt and water and the chlorine evaporates, leaving no residue. For large toys not able to be immersed, place some of the bleach water in a spray bottle and spray on then let air dry. Most infant chew toys are top rack dishwasher safe and I wash all my infant toys this way as well as bring home the infant toys from church to wash through my dishwasher. We keep an empty dishpan on the shelf in each of the rooms where infants, toddlers, and preschoolers have care and classes. After a child has used a toy or has put one in their mouth, the care givers/teachers place the toy in the dishpan. Someone comes through once a week and either takes them home to run through their dishwasher or we have the instructions and supplies to do cleaning and disinfecting with soap, water, and bleach. ETA: I would just like to add that while bleach does make a good disinfectant, as with everything, you can get too much of a good thing. Excessive use of products such as disinfectants, anti-bacterial products, and hand sanitizers has been strongly linked to the development of bacteria and viruses that are resistant to normal treatment. There are good germs and bad germs. These products do not know the difference and kill both the good and the bad. If you feel you must disinfect, do so with caution and in moderation.

What things do you do to keep your infant entertained?




babygirl4u


Just looking for different ideas you do to keep your infant entertained. Mine can't sit up by self yet. Best ideas gets 10 points.


Answer
My girls were always very happy if I just carried them around and talked to them about whatever I was doing. We went on walks, trips to the mall and grocery store, and just moved around the house cleaning and doing laundry. My younger daughter loved being carried in a sling, and I wish I'd had one when my older daughter was a baby. My older daughter did like the stroller a lot, though.

My older daughter loved her bouncy seat, and when she was 4 months old, I started putting her in her exersaucer, which was her very favorite toy. She also loved listening to books. I could hold her on my lap and read to her for a very long time.

My younger daughter loved the swing. She also loved just being on the floor in the middle of the room and watching everything around her -- her big sister, the cats, etc.

Both girls loved being outside -- just feeling the breeze on their faces, hearing the sounds, and watching the leaves rustle on the trees.

I sang to my daughters a lot, too -- lullabies, nursery rhymes, pop songs, made-up songs, whatever I was in the mood to sing and whatever they seemed interested in hearing.

I looked them in the eye and talked directly to them. I'd identify their body parts (eyes, nose, mouth, hands, tummy, feet, knees, toes) as I touched them. I'd use hand motions to sing songs, or I'd let them watch me count on my fingers.

I'd hold up various toys and see which ones interested them. If they wanted to hold or touch something, I gave them the toy or let them feel it.

Most of the things that keep an infant entertained are interactive. Your baby wants to see your face, snuggle up to you, and hear your voice. He or she will play with some toys, but most of that will come a little later -- after sitting.

Hope this gives you a few more ideas!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment