Monday, May 20, 2013

How do I handle angry baby?

Q. I am a stay at home mom and have been providing child care in my home for the past 4 yrs. I have not had any problems or issues with anyone's child until now. I have many yrs experience caring for infants (and all age groups) but I am currently babysitting a 7 month old who literally just does not stop crying every single time I put him down even for a min. He has to be held 24/7 nonstop to be happy. He's not even crying, he's just mad and gets really angry if I don't pick him up. I have him for various hrs (from 6-12 hrs) 2 days a week for 2.5 months now depending on parent's schedule. I have my own 4 yr old plus another 1.5 yr old I watch 3 days a week 12 hrs a day, who are both no problems at all, but this little guy does not want me to do anything at all but hold him. I cannot go to the bathroom, prepare his or anyone else's meals, or anything that requires putting him down. He stops instantly every time I pick him up and his eyes are dry, not one single tear. I have tried letting him "cry it out" for a couple of minutes clear up to over an hr and he just DOES NOT STOP YELLING AND CRYING and is driving me nuts at times. I tried talking to his mom and she says she holds him all the time b/c it's what he wants and they never let him cry at all. She even told me she was really upset I let him cry some when I was trying to put him down for his nap. She told me to just keep holding him until he falls asleep then transfer him except he wakes up every time. I can't hold him non stop like she does. I do have my own son to care for and other children when they are here not to mention the occasional time I have to use the rest room, wash dishes, prepare meals, etc. I have never seen a baby like this. I don't see it working out for me to continue caring for him b/c like I said he just won't stop and has to be held nonstop. He doesn't want any toys, bouncy seats, exersaucers, play pins or mats or anything at all. The ONLY thing that makes him happy is to be held. I don't like to hurt anyone's feelings and I haven't been telling his parents how much he cries b/c they get so upset but I feel they are the ones creating this by never putting him down at home and let him cry once in a while. The 1.5 yr old I babysit referred me to this 7 month old so they are friends and work together. How do I tell the mom and dad it just isn't working in a nice way? The mom just went back to work part time but is now having to work full time starting in a couple of weeks to cover someone else's maternity leave for a couple of months. I can't imagine having this everyday. I have had crying babies many times but none of them act like this one and I was always able to get them to stop and handle them. I feel bad that I would be putting the parents in a bind by needing to find someone else but I can't not be able to put him down without him pitching an anger fit every time the entire time he is not held so I can tend to someone else or something that needs to be done. It also isn't fair to my son or the other little one to not be able to hold or play with them. Is there a nice way to tell mom and dad? How much notice should I give them? I don't want to leave them in a bind but I also don't know how much longer I can handle their son? My husband says to just end it and let them deal with it but I'm not like that and don't want to be mean. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
To Ellen, I never said a baby that needs physical contact does not exist and I have cared for many of those children but not one who refuses to be put down AT ALL at ANY time. I have tried the baby carrier and it does not help. I have used the carrier many times with my own son and all of the babies I have ever cared for and it always worked. I have tried everything with him and nothing is working. I have MANY yrs experience, patience and know most of the tricks of soothing little ones. As far as the parents “getting ready to give me notice” they have reported and referred me to others with great reviews and no complaints. I should have clarified the statement about letting their son cry it out to take his nap. His father completely agreed with me when all else fails. It was the mom who wasn't. I completely agree with Snowbarb about not starting a habit that you will one day have to break. There is absolutely nothing wrong with putting a baby down once in a while while assuring th
I completely agree with Mommy to 4 too! Wish I could choose multiple best answers.

A. Wow, you must be exhausted!

First, I should tell you that his mother should have listened to advice my old Granny gave me when I was a new mother ...... "Never start a habit that you are one day going to have to break".

Those are wise words, and his mother should never have started holding him all the time, and she certainly shouldn't expect YOU to do that! That is ridiculous.

Much as you want to help this lady and take care of this child, this isn't a good "fit" for you, this child is too needy and requires a Day Care placement where he will be the only child there and can be held all day.

I'd say that two weeks notice is plenty for the mother to find another care giver for him.


Babies R Us "MUST HAVES" list?
Q. Babies R Us "MUST HAVES" list?
What will i honest to god actually need that i shouldnt expect to get at the baby shower? below is the list of stuff Babies r us says i need-i posted it just so you can see why i'm questioning how much of it is legit. (as you can tell this is my first, lol)

Infant car seat
Car seat base for 2nd car
Convertible car seat
Booster car seat
Car seat toys
Shopping cart cover
Car seat comfort & accessories
strollers
Travel system
Full-size stroller
Lightweight stroller
Mid-size stroller
Jogger stroller
Double & triple stroller
Stroller comfort & accessories
Stroller toys 6 Stroller diaper bag
backpacks & carriers
Backpacks
Front & back soft carriers
Sling & wrap carriers
play yards/travel yards
Play yards/travel yards
Play yards/travel yards sheets (Qty: 2-3)
activity
Stationary entertainers
Walkers
Gyms & playsets
Bouncers
Swings
Door jumpers
Infant positioner
baby gear
feeding & nursing
Warmers & sterilizers
Burping cloths (Qty: 6-12)
Cloth diapers (Qty: 6-12)
Lap pads (Qty: 6)
Bibs (Qty: 8-12)
breastfeeding
Breastpump
Breast pads, shields & cream
Breast milk storage
Containers or bags
Nursing pillow & stool
Nursing wrap/cover
bottle-feeding
Bottles for formula (Qty: 6-8)
Bottle nipples
Bottle drying rack
Bottle brush
Dishwasher caddy
Insulated tote
solid feeding
Feeding sets
Training cups
Infant spoons (for home)
Baby food processors & accessories
high chairs
High chairs
High chair cover
Splat mat
High chair toys
Extra high chair pad
booster seats
Booster seats
Splat mat
feeding accessories
Feeding accessories
infant care
bath & potty
Bathtub & seat
Washcloths (Qty: 8-12)
Hooded bath towels (Qty: 4-6)
Bath robe
Gentle shampoo & body wash
Baby lotion
Bath accessories
Bath toys
Step stool
Travel folding potty set
Stand alone potty seat
Toilet training seat (ring)
baby care & grooming
Nail clippers
Brushes & comb
Digital thermometer
Ear thermometer
Grooming kit
First aid kit
Humidifier/vaporizer
Baby mittens
Lotion
Baby oil
Cotton swabs
Cotton balls
Petroleum jelly
Gas relief drops
Teethers
Pacifiers
Pain relief products
diapers & formula
Diapers
Baby wipes
Diaper pail refills
Wipe warmer
Diaper pail
Formula*
Diaper bags
Baby changing mat
Diaper ointment
Travel wipes
safety
Audio monitor
Video monitor
Cabinet/drawer latches
Safety gates
Outlet covers
Corner guards
Edge guards
Smoke & carbon monoxide alarm
infant care (continued)
nursery
cradles/bassinets
Cradle, bassinet or portable crib
Bedding sets
Cradle, bassinet or portable crib sheets (Qty: 2-3)
Cradle, bassinet or portable crib toys
nursery furniture
Crib**
Crib toys
Changing table
Armoire/chifforobe**
Dresser/chest**
Drawer linens
Hutch**
Glider or upholstered rocker**
Ottoman**
Blanket chest
mattresses
Crib mattress
Crib mattress pads (Qty: 3)
Vinyl mattress cover
Cradle, bassinet or
portable crib mattress
bedding
Crib bedding set
Fitted crib sheets (Qty: 4-6)
Blankets (Qty: 4-6)
Receiving blankets (Qty: 4-6)
Waterproof pads (Qty: 4-6)
Sheet savers (Qty: 4-6)
Changing table covers (Qty: 2-4)
Changing table pads 6 Sleep positioner
room décor
Wall hanging
Switchplate cover
Crib mobile
Lamp
Wall border
Window treatments
Diaper stacker
Rug
Hamper
Waste basket
nursery storage
Storage solutions
Organizers
Shelves
Baskets/storage bins (Qty: 2-4)

layette
Bibs (Qty: 8-12)
Burp cloths
Washcloths (Qty: 12)
Towels (Qty: 4)
Bodysuits (Qty: 9-12)
Gowns (Qty: 4-6)
Layette sets
bedding
Bedding sets
Blankets (Qty: 4-6)
Sheets (Qty: 4-6)
bath & healthcare
Wipes
Lotion
Massage lotion
Shampoo
Diaper cream
Stretch mark fading cream
Just for mom gift sets
Homecoming quilt
Matching sets
Cap & bootie sets (Qty: 2-4)
T-Shirts (Qty: 4-6)
Cotton overalls (Qty: 3-6)
Gowns (Qty: 4-6)
Socks (Qty: 9-12)
Wearable blankets (Qty: 2)
Clothing hangers (Qty: 12-24)
Snow suit or bunting
Sweaters**
One-Pc. coveralls (Qty: 4-6)
Outfits (Qty: 4-6)
Bodysuits (Qty: 9-12)
clothing and layette
infant toys
Rattles
Teethers
Soft toys
Toys 0-12 months
Toys 12-24 months

A. Yaaaa...you don't need 95% of that stuff...lol

Okay....so here is what I needed and used in the 1st week

Infant car seat
Stroller (I actually had 2...1 regular and 1 jogger..but the jogger was borrowed...I didn't need it, but was super glad I had it as it was easier to work with on hills and in the park etc)
Diaper bag
Diapers and wipes
Sleepers/onesies/socks/pants/shirts any other clothing you want/need
Crib and crib sheets
Monitor
Bassinette or playyard or cradle...whatever you want to use while baby is in your room beside your bed - i still don't own a playyard, we used a borrowed cradle and that was fine...my son is 16 months...sometimes I wish I had a playyard, but you definitely do not need one
Breast pump and storage bags
Bottles/nipples (if you are breastfeeding, you only need 1 or 2 bottles...I had 3 and never opened the 3rd bottle...I only used 1 and left 1 at my mom's house so that if she was watching him she could put frozen breastmilk in the bottle...hence the breast pump
They don't need toys for some time...they don't play with toys in the first week...but it is nice to have some car seat toys for entertainment
A play mat is very nice to have
Soothers (2 or 3)
Soother clip
Vitamin D drops
Bouncer/swing...I had both, but only needed 1..he would sleep in the swing, it was awesome!
Breast pads and cream (For sore nipples)
Burp cloths...but you can use old towels too
Infant Bathtub (very cheep...just a regular one, you don't need the ones with hoses/showers etc)
Wash cloths/towels..again you can use regular ones
Mild baby bath soap
Gripe Water (excellent for gas etc) non-alcoholic
Cornstarch (Not peneten etc for diaper rash) this works way better and is much milder on skin!

Hmmmm...that is about it!!

There are things that are nice to have...and you can totally decide and ask for those things too...but the must haves are above!

Hope this helps!


What are essential/best baby items to have as a new parent? What's junk? What's invaluable? Hints? Tips?
Q. (Sorry this is so long! Many thanks in advance to those who reply!)

We are at week 34 awaiting the arrival of our Babygirl. Gifts and hand-me-downs are starting to come in that we're marking off the "need to get" list (per Babies R Us).

We still have lots we need to get, so I wanted to ask for your opinions. For all those moms and dads out there, I have attached, below, the Babies R Us "Parents Checklist." What is necessary? What is not? What is invaluable? What did you get on a whim and are eternally grateful for having? What turned out to be nothing but junk? What brands are the best (i.e., I hear that Boudreaux's "Butt Paste" is the best there is)?

I'm starting to scout out Craigslist and eBay for deals (who the heck knew breast pumps were unbelievably expensive??? At least I can get new, in box items from eBay and save a few if I watch like a hawk!). If any of you have insights that you would share, we would be very grateful. Thanks!

THE LIST

Infant Care
Safety
𐀀 Monitor
𐀀 Cabinet/Drawer Latches
𐀀 Safety Gates
𐀀 Outlet Covers
𐀀 Travel Mirror
𐀀 Smoke and Carbon Monoxide
Alarms
Nursing/Feeding
𐀀 Breastpump
𐀀 Breast Pads
𐀀 Breast Cream
𐀀 Breastmilk Storage
Containers or Bags
𐀀 Breastfeeding Shawl
𐀀 Nursing Pillow
𐀀 Burping Cloths
𐀀 6-12 Cloth Diapers
𐀀 6 Lap Pads
𐀀 6-8 Bottles for Formula,
Juice and Water
𐀀 Bottle Warmer
𐀀 Bottle Sterilizer
𐀀 Bottle Drying Rack
𐀀 Bottle Brush
𐀀 Dishwasher Caddy
𐀀 Insulated Tote
𐀀 Feeder for Strained Foods
𐀀 8-12 Bibs
𐀀 Pacifiers
𐀀 Baby Mittens
𐀀 Rattles
𐀀 Teethers
𐀀 Books for Parents-To-Be
Baby Care
𐀀 Nail Clippers
𐀀 Brush and Comb
𐀀 Digital Thermometer
𐀀 Ear Thermometer
𐀀 First Aid Kit
𐀀 Humidifier/Vaporizer
𐀀 Diaper Pail
𐀀 Diaper Pail Refills
Bath
𐀀 Baby Bathtub
𐀀 Baby Bath Sponge
𐀀 4 Hooded Bath Towels
𐀀 12 Washcloths
𐀀 Bath Toys
Toiletries
𐀀 Body Wash
𐀀 Shampoo
𐀀 Lotion
𐀀 Baby Oil
𐀀 Alcohol Swabs
𐀀 Cotton Swabs
𐀀 Diaper Ointment
𐀀 Petroleum Jelly
𐀀 Cotton Balls
Diapers/Formula
𐀀 Diapers
𐀀 Formula
𐀀 Baby Wipes
𐀀 Travel Wipes
𐀀 Wipes Warmer
𐀀 Diaper Bags (small & large)
𐀀 Baby Changing Mat
Baby Gear
Car Seats
𐀀 Infant Car Seat
𐀀 Convertible Car Seat
𐀀 Booster Car Seat
𐀀 Strap Covers
𐀀 Neck Wings
𐀀 Head Support
𐀀 Full-Body Support
𐀀 Baby Sunshade
𐀀 Car Seat Toys
𐀀 Additional Infant
Car Seat Base
𐀀 Car Seat Undermat
𐀀 Infant Car Seat
Carrier Cover
Strollers
𐀀 Travel System
𐀀 Full-Size Stroller
𐀀 Umbrella Stroller
𐀀 Jogging Stroller
𐀀 Convenience Stroller
𐀀 Stroller Toys
𐀀 Stroller Netting
𐀀Weather Shield
𐀀 Stroller Blanket
Entertainers/Swings
𐀀 Full-Size Swing
𐀀 Travel Swing
𐀀 Activity Jumper
𐀀 Jumper
𐀀 Stationary Entertainer
𐀀 Bouncer/Rocker
𐀀 Baby Carrier
𐀀 Infant Positioner
Play Yards
𐀀 Play Yard/Travel Yard
𐀀 2-3 Play Yard/Travel Yard
Sheets
𐀀 Play Yard/Travel Yard
Netting
High Chairs
𐀀 High Chair
𐀀 Booster Seat
𐀀 Splat Mat
𐀀 High Chair Cover
𐀀 Extra High Chair Pad
Nursery
Cradles/Bassinets
𐀀 Cradle, Bassinet or
Portable Crib
𐀀 Cradle, Bassinet or
Portable Crib Bedding Set
𐀀 2-3 Cradle, Bassinet or
Portable Crib Sheets
𐀀 Bassinet Netting
Nursery Furniture
𐀀 Crib
𐀀 Changing Table
𐀀 Armoire/Chifforobe
𐀀 Dresser/Chest
𐀀 Hutch
𐀀 Glider or
Upholstered Rocker
𐀀 Ottoman
𐀀 Blanket Chest
Mattresses
𐀀 Crib Mattress
𐀀 Cradle/Bassinet Mattress
𐀀 Portable Crib Mattress
𐀀 3 Crib Mattress Pads
𐀀 Vinyl Mattress Cover
Bedding/Room
Décor (separates)
𐀀 Crib Bedding Set
(including bumper)
𐀀 4-6 Fitted Crib Sheets
𐀀 4-6 Blankets
𐀀 4-6 Receiving Blankets
𐀀 4-6 Waterproof Pads
𐀀 4-6 Sheet Savers
𐀀 Changing Table Pad
𐀀 2-4 Changing Table Covers
𐀀 2-4 Baskets/Storage Bins
𐀀 Wall Hanging
𐀀 Switchplate Cover
𐀀 Crib Mobile
𐀀 Lamp
𐀀 Wall Border
𐀀 Window Valance
𐀀 Diaper Stacker
𐀀 Rug
𐀀 Hamper
𐀀 Sleep Positioner
Toys/Gifts
Toys, Books & Music
𐀀 Crib Toys
𐀀 Activity Toys
𐀀 Toy Box
𐀀 Baby Gym
𐀀 Books
𐀀 Playmat
𐀀 DVDs
𐀀 CDs
Keepsakes
𐀀 Frames
𐀀 Baby Book
𐀀 Photo Albums
𐀀 Thank You Notes
𐀀 Camera
𐀀 Announcements
Apparel
Infant Clothing
(various sizes)
𐀀 Homecoming Outfit
𐀀 9-12 Bodysuits
𐀀 2-4 Cap and Bootie Sets
𐀀 4-6 Side-Snap Shirts
𐀀 4-6 Pullover Shirts
𐀀 6-8 Stretch Sleepers
𐀀 3-6 Cotton Overalls
𐀀 3 Gowns
𐀀 Socks
𐀀 12-24 Clothing Hangers

A. Wow that is one long list lol.

Ok well for safety all you need to beginning with is baby monitors the rest are for when they start crawling wwhich wont be until they are 6-8 months so you don't need to purchase them just now unless you want to be super prepared.

Nursing/Feeding:

Breastpump - not essential unless you want to exprees easier just to put baby on the boob though. if you are going to get one I would recommend an electric one so much quicker and easier to use.

Breast Pads - Stock up on these

Breast Cream - Definitely need this

Breastmilk Storage - again on essential if you are going to express.

Containers or Bags - I got a bag that holds two bottles but my changing bag alreayd had one integrated into it so check to make sure yours doesn't before you waste any money.

Breastfeeding Shawl - Upto you really if you want something to sort of cover yourself when feeding get one.

Nursing Pillow - I can't stand mine it is so awkward and makes it hard to hold the baby I wanted recommend these unless you are formula feeding.

Burping Cloths - get plenty of these are muslin squeares at least 10

6-12 Cloth Diapers - not necessary if you are using disposable

6 Lap Pads - not essential

6-8 Bottles for Formula - I would recommend 2x 125ml and 6x 260ml

Juice and Water:

Bottle Warmer - I never use mine I just stick it hot water to warm it up less hassle.

Bottle Sterilizer definite essential

Bottle Drying Rack - can just stick them on the draining board this isn't essential.

Bottle Brush - this will probably just come with your sterliser

Dishwasher Caddy - don't need this when you still sterlising your bottles.

Insulated Tote - either this or a bottle bag you don't need both.

Feeder for Strained Foods - you wont need this until 4-6 months

8-12 Bibs: Can never have too many

Pacifiers: Thats personal prefernce whether you want to give your baby one.

Baby Mittens: At least 4 pairs

Rattles: Optional could get one or two normally don't bother with these until they are about 3 months anyway.

Teethers: Don't need this right away again at a couple of months

Books for Parents-To-Be: Don't need these at all you can learn from other people amd familyor YA! lol

Baby Care

Nail Clippers - essential or some people bite them off

Brush and Comb - I ve not used mine yet my daughter hardly has any hair

Digital Thermometer - Always handy to have when you have a young child

Ear Thermometer - Only need one Thermometer.

First Aid Kit - Not essential you'll probably have stuff ike this already anyway

Humidifier/Vaporizer - Not necessary or essential

Diaper Pail good to have to stor your diapers in for the day before you trhow them in the trash so you don't have to be in and out the house all day.

Diaper Pail Refills - These are diaper sacks

Bath

Baby Bathtub - not essential can use sink or bath support or take baby in the bath but I find mine useful for when she is really tiny

Baby Bath Sponge - Essential

4 Hooded Bath Towels - Not essential could use a normal towel and swaddle her in it

12 Washcloths - don't need that many

Bath Toys - don't need these to start with and or optional not essential

Toiletries

All toiletries are essential except alcohol swab some people don't use shampoo to start with either as it can cause cradle cap. I just used water to start with for the first few weeks

Diapers/Formula

Need all this stuff apart from a wipe warmer not necessary.

Baby Gear:

Carseat and base if it is ISOFIX. Head support but most car seats come with this and carseat toy keeps them entertained on longer journeys and shaded to keep them protected from the sun on warmer days.

Stroller:

You can get 3 in 1 travel systems that have a carrycot, fit a carseat and seat unit for when they are older. Most will come with all the essentail like rain cover etc and you can get a toy if you want.

Entertainments/ swings:

I would recommend the fisher price cradle swing my daughter loves hers. A bouncer and play mat or gym is all you need for the first few months they sleep the majority of the time
High Chairs:

You will need a high chair when she is 6mnths +

Nursery
Cradles/Bassinets:

Cradle, Bassinet or Portable Crib

Cradle, Bassinet or Portable Crib Bedding Set

2-3 Cradle, Bassinet or Portable Crib Sheets

Bassinet Netting - you will only need this if you have it outside

Nursery Furniture

Crib
Changing Table - I never used mine but handy to have to store things on really
Dresser/Chest - optional
Glider or Upholstered Rocker - handy to have for night feeds

Mattresses:
Crib Mattress
Cradle/Bassinet Mattress
3 Crib Mattress Pads
Vinyl Mattress Cover - Need all this

Bedding/Room

Décor (separates)

Out of this the essentials you'll need are:

Crib Bedding Set (including bumper)
4-6 Fitted Crib Sheets
4-6 Blankets
4-6 Receiving Blankets
4-6 Waterproof Pads
Crib





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment