Friday, June 20, 2014

Air travel with an infant...?




ME


I'm planning on flying home with my four month old daughter for Christmas and have a few questions. I've looked on the TSA website and it answered a few that I have, but not all of them.

1. Do I have to have my daughter in a carseat during the flight? If not and I have the carseat checked, is there anything special I need to do to have it checked (box it, etc)?
2. Any requirements to checking a stroller or Pack N Play?
3. Formula doesn't have the 3 ounce limit, but does it still have to be in the 1 quart bag going through security?
4. Are there baby changing stations on board?
5. Would I be seated first for "needing" extra time or assistance?
6. Should I bring her birth certificate to prove she's my daughter?
7. Will she be issued a ticket, or just me?

I'll probably think of more, but that's all I have for now. Thanks!
Another question...

8. Does it cost extra to check a carseat, stroller, or Pack N Play? If so, any idea how much extra?
I will most likely be flying with US Airways.



Answer
I'm a former Flight Attendant who now flies with my three kids, usually alone, between Europe and California about every six months, plus shorter flight inbetween. I'll try to answer your questions in order;

1. Do I have to have my daughter in a carseat during the flight?

No, but it's highly recommended. It's the only way to fly safely with a baby. Having said that, commercial air travel in the industrial world is safe and there's very little chance of anything happening. But your child is not protected in your lap and there's no contraption you can use or buy to change that.

I also push carseats onboard because chances are, you'll need it at your destination and using it onboard virtually guarentees that it arrives undamaged and doesn't get lost.

If you're flying a U.S. carrier, this site is relevent to you;
http://www.faa.gov/passengers/fly_children/crs/

If not and I have the carseat checked, is there anything special I need to do to have it checked (box it, etc)?

Try to secure an extra seat onboard to use it, even if you haven't paid for one. Be diplomatic and ask nicely. If you can't manage that, ask to take it to the gate to see if a seat frees up last minute. If even that doesn't work, your carseat will be boarded from the gate, which is more gentle than if you check it in at the counter (don't hold me to that!) Bring a cover and attach the straps before giving it over. Make sure the tag is visable.

2. Any requirements to checking a stroller or Pack N Play?

The Pack N Play has to be intially checked-in when you arrive. It does count against your baggage allowance and if you baby doesn't have a seat, you can't check in any extra bags. Again, be nice at the gate and see if they actually charge you. Often they give parents a break. Look on the airline's own website and confirm the above.

By contrast, the stroller wont be counted and you can use it up till you board the aircraft. It'll have a baggage sticker placed on it and you'll keep it with you until either the door of the aircraft or at the bottom of the stairs if you board from the tarmac (outside, we hope not!)

Just some quick tips;
-Remove all "extras" (cup holders, toys, even sunshade) ahead of time.
-Attach all straps
-Make sure the baggage sticker doesn't get munched when the stroller is folded (watch them put it on or sometimes they give it to you to do yourself)
-Bring a bungee cord and double-secure it before leaving it with them. This way, there's less chance of it popping open en route and getting damaged.

3. Formula doesn't have the 3 ounce limit, but does it still have to be in the 1 quart bag going through security?

Please try to have your baby on powdered formula before leaving. I also recommend the bottles with plastic liners. These were much easier to clean onboard since there are no "real" sinks onboard. You only need to clean the rings and nipples.

I premeasured the powder ahead of time, rolled the liners up and used them as I needed them, chucking out the liners as they were used. I put them in a ziplock to keep them clean.

Be sure to bring your own water and there is not enough onboard. We used to run out after the first meal service. The tap water is filtered and the tanks regularily cleaned. I've never heard of anyone getting sick on airplane water so I believe it's safe but use your own judgement.

Also, since there is no health-advantage to a warmed baby bottle, please get him used to it room temperature before leaving. Sure, I warmed many a baby bottle in my career but what will you do if she's hungry in the boarding area or during check-in?

4. Are there baby changing stations on board?

Yes, they're marked on the outside of the lav. Usually we had one in each "area" of lavs. Passengers usually cooperate to let you use the one with the sign.

5. Would I be seated first for "needing" extra time or assistance?

Ha! The famous question. Some airlines do it. Some don't. Check to see what your airlines' policy is. I simply place myself in the front of the crowd before boarding and virtually every time, they take me regardless. When they start to gather the wheelchair passengers and unaccompained minors, be ready to go!

6. Should I bring her birth certificate to prove she's my daughter?

Yes. Often, they don't bother to ask but check with your airline's website to be sure. Better safe than sorry. I'm assuming this is NOT an international flight or she'd need a passport. Many countries have been added to the list so be careful if this applies. I think you would have mentioned it...

7. Will she be issued a ticket, or just me?

Again, it depends on the airline and flight. I have always needed one but mostly we fly internationally (and/or my babies have had seats). Sometimes it's just your ticket with a mention of "with infant" somewhere. You need to let them know that you will be flying with her even if you don't need an actual ticket for her.

Parents with babies are usually more comfortable in "bulkhead" seats. These are the ones with walls in front of you. Sometimes, there are baby basinettes that attach to the walls but don't count on that! (depends on both the flight and company). Don't expect a Flight Attendant to seat you there. We never handled seating (although sometimes we helped with trades). These are very popular so book as far in advance as possible to get these. Don't wait till boarding!!

I also really recommend a good baby carrier. I see too many parents flying with uncomfortable Bjorns and other front packs. Get something that goes at least to age 2 and that is less fiddily and better for both your backs. I used a sling but a wrap, pouch or Mei Tai are also good. Google those to see them on the web. Tons of sites now sell them, at a much lower price than those packs and there is so much choice now.

Give yourself some time to get used to using them (there is a learning curve) but not only are they g-dsends for flying, but make your life eaiser as well. I would just pop my crying baby in mine and off to slumberland she went...

Since I get a lot of questions on this subject, I wrote an article for a local expat newsletter which I later expanded and put on a blog. There are some older versions of it on some websites but I like the blog because I can update it more easily. It's totally non-commercial, I'm not selling anything to anyone, and I used to work in this industry, not just a mom who does fly a lot with her kids.

I go into more diapering, feeding and packing details;
http://flyingwithchildren.blogspot.com

Each of mine was your baby's age on their first transatlantic and each time it went well. It's actually a good age and it'll never be this easy again so take advantage.

Have a good trip!

Air travel with infant/toddler - help!?




SamieT


I'm going to be the only adult on a 3 hour day flight with my 2 year old and my 6 month old. My 2 year old will have a seat and my 6 month old will be on my lap. Does anyone have travel tips to help me stay sane? Thanks.


Answer
Since your 2-year-old will have a seat, he will also have a carry-on allowance. I usually pack a small backpack full of new items to keep my kids busy on the plane. You can get things like Play-Doh, Matchbox cars, coloring books, sticker books, small magna-doodle toys, story books, etc. Take them out one at a time as he/she seems to be getting bored or antsy. You can also bring a portable DVD player or laptop to play a movie if he or she will wear headphones.

For the baby, I'd recommend bringing a front-carrier so that you can have your hands free to tend to your kids more easily. The baby won't need as many things to be occupied, but you could get some new small stuffed toys or teethers.

Both kids will want to be either sucking on something or drinking something during take-off/ascent and descent/landing, which will help with the pressure on the ears. It can be a cup, a bottle, a pacifier, a sucker, etc.

Bring extra diapers/wipes (more than you think you'll need) and extra changes of clothes too.

Pack some snacks because the airline offerings aren't typically things that kids like. The TSA allows you to bring juice, formula, and milk for kids - enough to get through your travel for the day. You'll have to declare it at security. You can also buy some juice or milk in the airport after you go through.

Bring a stroller for the airport - you can check it at the gate and it will be waiting for you when you get off the plane at your destination.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment