Saturday, March 8, 2014

why does my infant hate his car seat?




bhg


he is 18months old and starts screaming minutes into getting into the car, he has hated it from the day we brought him home from the hospital. we have tried different types of car seats, different pisitions, dvds, just about everything and nothing seems to help


Answer
My son hated his car seat until he was about a year old, then he was in a convertible tall enough to look out the car window and that seemed to help. But honestly I think he was simply car sick from rear-facing and had to distract himself with toys and the mirror and such. Also you want to make sure that the seat isn't hot, the buckles aren't too tight, check the groin especially since it can pinch there.

I made sure that when we go in the car seat he always gets to go to a fun place, not just boring things. He also has toys he only gets in the seat. And I ignore him if he's screaming, it's the one time I'll turn up music and sing out to my heart's content if I need to. There's no choice, he must be in his seat, it's not safe otherwise, and it's just life.

An infant car seat travel question please?




Athena


My son and I are traveling overseas in January to visit my sick mom. He'll be 5 months old. It's going to be just the baby and me from beginning till end. Since it's just the 2 of us, I'm taking my FAA approved car seat and stroller with me. I was wondering if anyone else has traveled this way and if you could give me advice. I'm already aware of the fact that I need to be there earlier than normal but will the stewardesses be mad if I book the seat next to me? Are they helpful? Is it hard to put the seat in place? What about bathroom brakes? Where do you change the baby? Can I take the CAN of formula or does it have to be in a bottle already mixed (I'll be breastfeeding but I'd like to have it with me just in case)? and things like that. I've traveled this route more times than I can count but never with a baby so any advice would be very welcome!
Thank you in advance!
I'm asking the question in this category because more mothers are likely to read it and respond! :)



Answer
Definitely book the seat next to you--it will give you SO much more space. You will get there early and you can just buckle his car seat right into the seat next to you just like you would do a lap belt install in a regular car. It works great! If you didn't do this and you hit turbulence during the flight, your baby would become a projectile, not only becoming injured himself, but injuring you and the other passengers. Not to mention, checking the carseat with luggage can mean a badly damaged carseat.

You'll take the stroller and carseat right to the gate and you'll check the stroller at the gate when the attendants get there and you'll carry him on in his car seat. They'll have the stroller waiting for you at the other end of your destination.

As for the canned formula, you'll have to ask the airline--each one has different regulations. That said, most say it's ok so long as it is completely sealed and you just buy bottled water once you are through security. If it needs warming, the flight attendants are usually more than happy to warm it for you.

Make sure to bring a few toys for him and a pacifier for take off and landing--or make sure he's feeding during those times. And, as for changes, many planes these days do have a spot for changing children. If your plane does not, either plan on changing him on your seat or the floor space in front of the seats which is why it's imperative that you choose the window seats not the middle section of the plane. Just bring a changing pad. If your baby has a poopy diaper, head for the bathroom and lay the pad on the toilet seat in there and work fast, or ask the flight attendants for a suggestion. They may let you change him in their area on the floor.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment