Sunday, July 21, 2013

Do the infant learning games really work?

best newborn infant toys
 on Educational Baby Toys - The Best Educational Toys for Infants
best newborn infant toys image



due [9/15/


I was at barnes and nobles the other day and being 6 months pregnant of course i went to the parenting secton and say this book (or a couple books) about games you can play with your baby from newborn and up? i mean do they really help? has anyone tried these?


Answer
I haven't read any books on games to play with your children, but I do get e-mails and mailings from formula and diaper companies which include developmental suggestions. Plus, you kind of make up stuff as you go along!

These are the things I do with my almost 3 month old son (who is "highly advanced" according to milestone charts):

* I talk to him constantly. I tell him all the tasks I am doing, and I make up silly stories. This helps his vocabulary development. I also vary my speaking voice and I refer to myself as "mommy" and my son by his name instead of saying "I" and "you" (babies are not supposed to comprehend pronouns at a young age).
* I count to 10 with him on both our fingers in English and Spanish every day. And, I use his toys to introduce the names of colors, also in both languages. When I show him books with pictures of animals or objects, I try to use both languages as well.
* He has a bumble bee toy that I hold a few inches away from his face and allow him to focus on. Then I make a buzzing sound and move the bee in different directions (up, down, left, right) so he practices following it with his eyes. This helps spacial development.
* I sing songs to him, especially ones with hand motions or dances (la manito, itsy bitsy spider, wheels on the bus, etc).
* I place toys in his hand(s) while we are playing together so he works on his grip, or I sit him in his swing with toys attached to the play tray when he wants independant time so he can practice grabbing the toys himself. He also like to play on his play mat and in his bouncy chair where he can bat at and rattle the toys.

I hope these suggestions help. Good luck!

What things are normal to ask for or register for at a baby shower?




Shannon


I'm supposed to be registering but I have no idea what a newborn needs or what's appropriate to ask for.


Answer
Well, if you are registering for newborn gifts, that means you are going to have one of your own very soon. It's time to figure out what to do with a newborn infant! You are going to need a ton of disposable diapers, new born clothes, receiving blankets, baby bath towels and wash cloths, baby bath tub, bassinet, crib, car seat, rocking swing, diaper bag, baby bottles (even if you are planning on nursing), baby brush and comb, baby oil, powder and lotion, pacifiers, soft baby toys (with no small pieces that could come off and be choked on), a mobil to go over the crib, baby walkie talkies (let you hear if the baby wakes up when you are in another room), rattles, steamer (if your baby gets the croup) and so much more. Take an online trip through the store and get an idea what they have for babies or call or go to the store and ask for a list of the most requested items. Good luck and best wishes!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment