Monday, September 16, 2013

Any tips on air traveling with an infant?

best infant toys for air travel
 on Travel-Friendly Toys That Fit In a Diaper Bag | Disney Baby
best infant toys for air travel image



max's mamm


My 7 month old is preparing to fly to his uncles wedding in Key west. So we'll be on a puddle jumper too. I'd love to know any tricks on getting an extra seat or any savvy advice. I've heard about benedryl and would prefer not to use it. Any other must knows


Answer
Pack a very light carry on! A few diapers, wipes, bottle (if s/he uses one), change of shirt for you (I needed one), and a few simple toys. Take a soft colorful book, a favorite small stuffed toy and a rattle (the other passengers will get over it). I flew with my daughter when she was four months. I made the mistake of taking too much with me in the carry on, it's hard to juggle a carry on and a baby. I needed a new shirt when the diaper leaked all over me, I was lucky I had bought one at the airport I left from. Use a front carrier instead of getting another seat. If you're on a long flight you can get him/her out of it and let 'em wiggle. Short flights just leave 'em in it, it will save time and hassle. Be sure to be on time, you can be boarded after the handicapped. Makes it easier to get situated in your seat before the other passengers crowd and push through. No matter how nice the stranger next to you seems, they probably wont want to talk to you because you brought the baby on a plane. If your baby has a pacifier, BRING it! It will help while taking off and landing to equalize baby's little ears. Good luck and enjoy the wedding!

Is it safe to travel with an infant?




Mariana T


My daughter will be 8 months old and i want to go back to my country to visit my family.Is it safe to travel with her?How about her eyers? Are they going to hurt?how is she going to handle all that?It's a long flyght,10 hours,so i'm not sure if she'll be ok.


Answer
If she is a normal, healthy baby, you will have no problems. Just be sure to bring plenty of nappies and formula, toys, and clothes (for you and her) in your carry on.

Here are the things to worry about... First is hydration! The air in the cabin comes in from a source on the engine (called "bleed air"). Being from the ambient air outside, it is remarkably dry. It is at most single digits, if that much at all. The problem here is breathing. We lose water normally from sweat, urination, etc; but in an airplane we also loose a lot from just breathing. The moisture comes when we exhale.

You should prepare formula or have EBM for her, and have some extra juice and/or water. You will likely have to purchase the water or juice inside the terminal as they do not allow sufficient quantity of liquid through security screening. Also, I do not trust the "tap" water on airplanes, only bottled water...

A bottle or sippy cup, pacifier, teething ring, etc to suck on is also a must. During ascent and descent, the cabin pressure will change and as a result, she may get an ear block. These can be painful, but are relieved by negative pressure in the mouth and throat. If it is really bad, you can try to yawn with her looking, the yawn reflex is strong and it often results in equalizing the pressure. You can also try gently massaging her forehead, neck, and around her ears if it doesn't clear.

She is 8 months old, and can therefore fly as a "lap baby", but I would caution against that. If you carry her all the way, it will be uncomfortable for you and annoying for her. It is also dangerous if the airplane needs to break hard or hits turbulence in flight. Consider getting a seat for her and bringing her car seat (but check to be sure the seat is approved for airplanes. This will be written on the side).

I hope this helps! I'm a flight paramedic and have transported many children. I am also a frequent traveler, including many international destinations. I speak from both a professional medical provider and a frequent flyer. I've seen dozens upon dozens of parents travel with small children, and with a few simple steps, it can be easy and enjoyable for all.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment