Friday, June 13, 2014

Travelling overseas with an infant?




Elisabeth


I would like to bring my 3 boys who will be almost 5, 2.5, and 7-8 months next summer when I would like to visit family in France. My father and sister have never met any of our boys and I would like for them to meet their cousins. They aren't financially able to come here, so it would only be possible if we went there. My problem lies in the fact that my youngest will be so young when we travel next summer, as well as my rambunctious older boys. Do you think it will be possible? Do you have any suggestions for a long plane ride, which will be approximately 13 hours total.


Answer
Bien sûr!

I take my three children approximately the same age alone on 11 1/2 hour flights about twice a year. I've been doing this since each was 4 months old and like yours', mine are close in age.

I get a seat for my youngest. Once I flew Air France and they wouldn't guarantee that I could use my car seat so I flew with my 4 month old as a "lap baby". This is much less safe. Both for comfort and safety, having the seat is important. I don't know how I could have dealt with three small children without somewhere to put the little one. So now I book with Lufthansa and United, who let me use my American car seats on board.

Another reason to avoid Air France is the fact they let you bring your stroller to the gate but then they check it all the way through to your destination. Unless your final stop is Paris, you'll find yourself having to negotiate Charles de Gualle airport without a stroller and three small children. No thanks!

Your 2 1/2 year old can sit in the seat but you may want to look into a CARES harness.
http://www.kidsflysafe.com/
You can rent one on Ebay or Craigslist, especially if you're in N. America, if you don't want to buy one.

Arrange a car seat for your middle child and a booster for your oldest in France. Don't use car seats provided by a rental car company. These are really dire here in France.

Make sure you have a good baby carrier. Awful front packs like the Bjorn are too small. I had a sling and I could carry either of two children in it and it went to age 3. You might also look into a front/back soft carrier, like the Ergo. A wrap or pouch is also good. This way, my children alternated walking (those who could), riding in the stroller or were carried. As a Flight Attendant, I saw too many parents dashing through airports carrying heavy toddlers and babies. Don't be one of them!

I was able to manage with a single stroller but you can bring your double. Any stroller that folds is usually acceptable (but check your airlines' website).

I was able to manage with a big backpack and a diaper bag when I had two in diapers. I wrapped the diapers in plastic bags and bound them with rubber bands to make room in my carry-on.

I usually had a few brand new toys to give the older children, once we were on the plane. I also brought quiet, easy-to-pack toys like coloring things, stickers, pipe cleaners, small plastic animals or cars, etc. I found that simple things kept them occupied best. I did get a portable DVD player once they were older but my kids were not good "screen watchers" and not good about wearing the headphones (don't even think about playing it over the speakers).

For more information, nine years ago I wrote an article on this subject. It's based on both my personal and professional experience of flying with children. It's totally non-commercial and other parents from around the world have contributed;
http://flyingwithchildren1.blogspot.com

C'est en anglais mais n'hestiatez pas de me contacter si vous avez encore des questions. Mon email est à la fin d'article. Je suis en France depuis 13 ans.

Bonne chance!

Any suggestions on traveling with infant on a plane?




paula r


I will be traveling ALONE with my 10 months old son for a 15 hours non-stop flight very soon. Any suggestions on how i can make it easier on myself and on him? I heard about the sucking bottle when take off and land to avoid his ear popping. The travel agent booked us the very last row. but then I heard that the best is the bulk head. I am not sure having a big screen in front of me and my baby though. He crawls everywhere. Not yet walking by himself. What do i do to entertain him? Can I bring a electronic toys on board? Is there any traveling gear that I should bring with me? I will have a travel system stroller and the car seat with me. I am afriaid it will be really tough when we get to the screening. Just a bit nervous since I will be going alone. That's a long flight too. Please help.


Answer
You have so many important questions! I found this site that is probably just what you need to read. It has information on everything listed below. I copied it from the site to give you an idea. Best wishes on your trip.

These baby and child air travel tips are from flying families worldwide
.
Get tips about:

Airlines

At the airport

Diaper changing

Meals on board

Entertainment and playing

Getting around

Health and hygiene

Packing

Safety

Sleeping on board

Staying sane

Travel planning

What happens on board

What to wear




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment