Saturday, May 31, 2014

Lightweight infant car seat?




Vanessa


Hi there...
I'm looking for an infant car seat that is light weight &; won't outweigh me while my baby is inside of the carrier!
Small &; Cheap ish , I don't wanna spend too much on a car seat if their gonna use it not that long.
Something neutral for its for boys and girls cause we don't even know the sex yet.
I've went thru so many sites &; The seats I've found, are ugly, or just too bulky &; fat.
If you can help me awesome, if not please direct me somewhere that possibly can.?
Thanks.
Goodnite.
I am in the U.S.
So U.S. only please.



Answer
I found this link that gave the lightest weighted ones for 2008, I don't expect they've changed much. Evenflo is around 10lbs, the Snugrides just 2 lbs heavier, and Chicco Key-fits about 9lbs as well. So I'd start there. Chicco isn't as cheap as the other two, but typically has higher weight limits so you can use it longer.

If I might give advice though... don't set your heart on a baby car seat carrier. Be adaptable. It's much easier to carry your baby in your arms than to try and maneuver the size of the carrier as well as the weight of it. Also, you can't put a carrier on a shopping cart, it's dangerous and has been recommended against for years but every day idiots keep putting it on top of the shopping cart. More recently, they've found that leaving a baby in the car seat for long periods of time can cause breathing problems, their oxygen levels drop. Add into this that people tend to bump the seat against the walls, on stairs, put it up on counters and it can fall, and you have a lot of things that can compromise the shell of the seat and make it less safe.

It just adds up to plenty of reasons not to really worry about carrying the seat anyway. Leave it in the car. The car seat is the best for in the car of course, but once you're out of the car a baby should lay flat (in a stroller or in a bed) or be in someone's arms (or a wrap, chest carrier, etc that would hold them in that similar fashion and is approved for newborn use.)

With my first, I used to carry her everywhere in the seat and I used to put it on top of shopping carts. I found out the danger from reading about it after I started having major back and shoulder pain from the carseat. With my son, we used an infant seat but didn't take it out of the car. I used an Ergo baby carrier when we went into stores or for walks and it was so much nicer than the car seat was. I'm pregnant again and looking back at that (I've given the seat to my sister and I don't trust her use of the seat to ask for it back, she took it out all the time and used it much more like a carrier) We've decided we're going to just go to a convertible car seat (Britax Boulevard 70, it will last until the baby is 70lbs so it's worth the cost since it'll basically be 7 years before we have to replace it...) If money is a concern, then I'd skip the infant seat and go right to a convertible and just leave it in the car.

Other wraps that are less expensive are like the Moby Wrap. I got my Ergo for 1/2 the normal cost on "Baby-steals.com" so that helped. Beware of rip-offs, but sometimes you can find a used one on ebay.

Add: It's amazing to me that Baby Trend doesn't say not to put on shopping carts. It's not a problem with the car seats, it's a problem with the design of the carts. You simply can't put the car seat up top and not expect a tip-over. Scary.

To make it clear, I'm not saying to go Britax Convertible, that's just what we're planning on doing because we have a good history with them holding up well. There are cheaper convertibles like the Scenera which will rear-face to a good weight, or things like the Graco My-Ride or other seats that will rear-face to 35-40lbs and forward to 65+lbs. If you have time, watch sales and you can usually count on getting 10-25% off. You might even want to watch garage sales and pick up a bouncer or something that someone is getting rid of cheap that you can take to Toys R Us if they have a trade-in event (usually they have 1-2 in a year and will take any used item then you get 25% off towards whatever you buy including seats. Combine this with their baby registry 10% off...)

Pl suggest toys or activities for an 8 month boy?




vs2008


My son will turn 8 months old in a few days. He has had a bouncy chair, play mat, books and variety of soft toys at home. He also likes to play with cell phone and TV remote as well as being shown colorful books. He has a jumperoo and lots of toys at the daycare. I am wondering if I should get a jumperoo for the weekend (at home). Does he need a swing?
What other toys would be stimulating for him for the coming months and year. If you have a suggestion, do let me know. My son likes playing with us, so I and my husband spend a lot of time going out for walks, swinging him around, singing and reading him books. What else should be fun for him?
Any suggestions you may have are welcome.
Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving.



Answer
Blow bubbles.

Balls (one of those tiny plastic pools and some ball pit balls (you can buy them at Wal Mart) is inexpensive and fun!

A swing, but not the infant kind (he is probably outgrowing that by now). My 6 month old LOVES to swing- we have the Little Tikes kind (we have a dolphin that is in like-new condition and we got it for our oldest child's first birthday, and she is almost 13 now) that looks like a dolphin. They also have airplane ones and ones that are not shaped but just as durable.

Look at One Step Ahead (dot com) and request a catalog. They have an indoor swing that you can hang in a doorframe like you do a Johnny Jumper. They have other indoor swings/slides and toys for infants.

My son will be 8 months old the day after Christmas, and I am getting him something from Toys R Us that looks like a shopping cart. He can push it around like a walker, but the top, front and sides have different activities such as a bead maze.

Play games such as Peek-A-Boo and do motions such as Itsy Bitsy Spider.

I recommend music- I love the Cedarmont Kids cds (they have lullabies, nursery rhymes, songs for babies, toddlers and older children. They also have Christmas music). I also have the Build Your Baby's Brain cds which I like (classical music) and my babies have liked as well.

Get one of those baby proof picture albums and put pictures in of various loved ones- you, dad, grandparents, etc.

A non-breakable mirror.

A wagon is my most recommended gift suggestion. Even my 12 year old and 10 year olds still play with our various wagons. You can pull your son now, later he can use it to pull his toys (or younger siblings!), and they come in handy when going to the park or beach to haul the necessities.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment