Friday, May 30, 2014

When infant has a cold?




FloridaGir


My almost 10 month old has cold symptoms and I was told that I am making his cold worse because I keep my a/c on 77 (its not hot or cold inside) that its too hot in the apartment so germs spread. So, I want to know if baby has no fever but has a cold is it true that I should put my a/c down to super cold?


Answer
Babies get used to what you are used to. Don't worry about the thermostat. Germs spread from poor hand-washing practices (e.g., feeding after diaper changing and not washing hands) or exchanging fluids (like sharing cups or kissing on the mouth). Clean all the toys with a solution of bleach and water or use disinfecting wipes and allow to completely dry before baby can play with them again. Sometimes what you think is a cold is actually regular sinus drainage or allergies (which could start showing up by 10 months). Try using a humidifier (if you are in a dry area). If the outdoor temp isn't too cold, you can also open windows at night to help with congestion.

Tips needed for traveling with Infant & Toddler?




Busy Mommy


My husband and I are planning on taking our 2 year old (28 months) and our 10 month old on a 1500 mile trip...driving. Any tips on how to keep them happy and comfortable for this 24 hour drive (we are not driving straight through, this is just how long it takes to get there).

(My 10 month old daughter is 22 lbs so she is forward facing in her car seat now..so that helps.)



Answer
I would recommend keeping your 10 month old rear facing until she is a year old. It's not as fun for her, but it is much, much safer.

As for keeping them occupied...lots of new snacks, fun kids music, a portbale DVD player (if you allow them to watch), a few rolls of scotch tape (my son LOVES to pull and pull and pull and stick it everywhere!), stickers to stick on each other and paper, several new toys to pull out every few hours, finger puppets, magna doodle, frequent stops to break up the trip and get everyone moving.

When drove from the North Carolina coast to San Diego last summer with our 2 and 1/2 year old and found it very helpful to stop every 2 - 2 and 1/2 hours. I had a ball, bubbles, chalk, and other outdoor fun stuff to do at our stops. It made the trip longer, but being able to get out of the car for half and hour and run around did us ALL good! When we travel, there are very few rules in the car...I let the kids eat whatever, whenever. And if they don't nap, oh well, they'll sleep at night.

Enjoy your trip!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment