Thursday, April 24, 2014

How to help infants in the car?




Kate T


We are traveling 5 hours to upstate NY this weekend with a 3 year old and a 6 month old. The 3 year old is fine in the car, but the 6 month old screams the whole time. Does anyone have any suggestions as to help this? It is not car sickness or reflux, I think it is just boredom. Thanks a million for all of your help in advance.


Answer
My husband and I took a trip from MA to PA (6-7 hour trip) when my daughter was 10 months old. The best way we did it was to wake her up in the middle of the night (1:00am) start driving and let her fall back to sleep in the car. Then when she woke up at 6:00 we only had an hour or two left. We stopped and had breakfast, changed her and let her play for 20-30 minutes. When we got back in the car we only had 1 hour left and she was great.

We brought books and toys and don't forget the pacifier (bring a few so when he/she throws it you have more). Plus you have an added bonus, the 3 year old can sing songs and show pictures and toys to him/her. Teach the 3 year old to make faces to make the baby smile and sing baby songs. Give him a reward for helping you! Good Luck!

Tips for Traveling with 8 Mo Infant by Car (18 hours)?




ratigy24


I will be going to Iowa from Texas. Last time we traveled, it took approx 18 hours. It will be a long drive! I want my family to see my 8 month old son for the first time. Have any of you ever drove a long distance by car with an infant? How did they do? What did you do to keep them happy? We plan on stopping every couple of hours of course to change baby and get some exercise. How often did you stop? How well did your baby sleep? Any tips would be much appreciated!
THANKS GUYS!



Answer
Just came back from a 12 hours trip with my 8 months old baby. It was hard but very manageable. I prepared a bag for all her food and bottles that I brought in the car with us so that if she needed anything I could have it ready quickly. I also bought her a couple of small new toys and did not show them to her until the car ride. A little donught for baby's head to support neck while they sleep. My baby loved playing with the tags. Make frequent stops to take baby out of the car seat and stretch their back, they get tired of sitting there for too long. I also have a dvd player for my older daughter but brought along a couple of the Baby Einstein DVDs or Barney and put them on. Not more than half an hour at a time but it kept her busy. Don't know if you're planning to drive straight through or make a stop for the night but in our case, I found that stopping for the night helped us a lot, gave us a chance to rest and more importantly gave the baby a break from the car ride and a big change of scenery. By the way roller shades for the windows are very useful on long car rides to protect baby from the sun, especially in the summer months.
Hope this helps and have a wonderful and safe trip.
www.mommynuggets.com




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment