Monday, May 27, 2013

Taking a Car Seat on the Plane?

Q. How does that work. I'm planning a vacation and I want to take my child's carseat with me. Am I allowed to take it on the plane if it fits inside that small square. It's really small (infant seat).

If not how do you transport your child while on vacation (8 month old)? I also want to take her stroller but I don't want it to get smashed to bits with the airplane cargo. How does that work.

I'll be renting a car and I need at least a carseat!

A. If you're flying with a U.S. air company, you can take any FAA approved carseat with you onboard. If you bought a seat for your child, it's your right to use it. If you haven't, talk to them in check-in about seeing if there's a free seat they can put next to you if the flight isn't full. Be nice and diplomatic but it's in their interest to do so since it's better for the other passengers too to give whatever free seats available to those with little ones on their lap.

This link will show you what the FAA sticker looks like;
http://www.faa.gov/passengers/fly_children/crs/

Check the car seat manual but many function without the base. No, it's not as convenient so you can decide if the inconvenience of packing the base is as bad as strapping the seat in each time. If it's a short visit, skipping on the base might be easier. But ONLY do this if it's an option the manufacturer mentions in the instructions.

Do you have a "Snap & Go" or can you put the carseat on the stroller? I'm hoping that's the case.
http://www.amazon.com/Snap-N-Go-Infant-Carrier/dp/B00008XL2W
I suggest not pfaffing with bringing both!

By the way, I am commending you for NOT using a rental car seat. I had a bad experience with one once and it's not recommended by car seat techs. Bravo for bringing your own. Your child is also safer in his or her own seat than in your lap but the "real" danger is more on the road than in the air, statistically speaking (commercial air travel is safe).

As far as the stroller goes, don't expect to take it onboard (hard to safely stow them, never in overhead bins please!) but the good news is that if you take it to the gate, it supposedly gets treated a little gentlier than if you check it in at the counter right away. They'll tag it but you get to keep it with you until you board the aircraft. At that moment, you fold it up and put it by the door of the plane, if using a jetway, or at the bottom of the stairs if boarding directly outside. It'll be boarded with the wheelchairs and other specially handled items.

This is the procedure for non-U.S. airlines too, just in case that's relevent to know.

Here are some tips to keeping it from being bashed;
1. Remove all "extras" (toys, cup holders, etc.)
2. Attach all straps so nothing dangles.
3. Consider bringing a bag for it, although this could interfere with the luggage tag. I actually skip this myself but I've never had a very expensive or delicate stroller.
4. A great tip someone else gave me was to bring an extra bungee cord and after it's folded up, double-secure it with the cord. That way, if it pops open en route, you wont be at the mercy of the "baggage monkeys" trying to figure out how to refold it and smashing it together.

I fly about every six months between Europe and California usually alone with my three children but I was also a long-haul international flight attendant for 10 years before I had them. I get a lot of questions on the subject so I wrote an article about 7 years ago, which I expanded and put on a blog. A lot of other parents have helped me out over the years adding to it and it's totally non-commercial.

I go into more details on feeding and changing in the airports and on the plane, etc. It's too long to copy and paste here but skim to the parts that apply to your situation.

Feel free to visit;
http://flyingwithchildren.blogspot.com

Have a good trip!


Where are the cheapest places to by baby supplies?
Q. My friend is having a baby shower for her son who is due sometime in 3-4 months. Im not sure. Im on a budget but want to make her a nice basket. I plan on diapers and some onesies and some other small things. I know she is looking for jake footie pajamas and has dc shoes on her wish list. I dont know if I can get her all that but I do want to know the cheapest places to find baby items. We have a walmart and a dollar store ao it may need to be online. If anyone else has any ideas for a basket let me know. I am not sure yet whether she will be using breast or bottle. Should I get some bibs or a blanket?

A. Um, does DC Shoes even make sizes for infants? I wouldn't get her name brand stuff as the baby will outgrow it quickly. I don't know about the Jake footie pajamas either.

Amazon and Wal-mart has some cheap shipping options too.

I would consider getting her the onesies packs that Wal-mart sells. I would throw in some teethers (a set of 3 is cheap). A glowhorse or a glow-worm in the toy section of Wal-mart is a good buy because every baby I've seen loves them. I would consider a package of regular cloth diapers for burping. Bibs I'd hold off on. Receiving blankets maybe but those big plush ones aren't actually recommended till the child is out of the SIDS range. I would consider a sleeper gown. Baby shampoo and wash clothes are good for baskets.

Any clothes you get, I'd recommend buying in the 3-6 or 6-9 months range. A lot of people will buy clothes in the 0-3 range or newborn so that way the baby has stuff to grow into.


What is the one thing you couldn't live without when your baby was born?
Q. I'd love to hear what one (or more) thing (or things) you parents absolutely loved during your child's newborn weeks and the first year. I'm thinking about my baby list and registry. Thanks!
@Andrew: what exactly do you mean? Like, earplugs for dad? Yeah, um, that's not gonna work in our family. We're taking turns getting the baby.

A. My twins nursing pillow. I only use it for them one at a time, but if I was stuck on a desert island with them and could only bring one thing... that would be it.

Although without diapers it would get pretty stinky.

You can't take them home without a car seat of course.

For toys the doorway jumper KILLS SLAUGHTERS DESTROYS and ANNIHALATES all other toys. My guys are 5 months and been rocking out on them for 2 months.

ONLY the Graco is worth getting. I got the Evenflo - SUCKS. Worthless in comparison.

Graco doorway jumper cost $30, but worth $300 for fun.

I have all the stuff, all the toys, everything. For toys, Graco doorway jumper. I feel sorry for babies who don't have them.

I got the slings, I got the baby bjorns, I have the infant swings, bumbos, boppys, activity mat (okay, that one is IMPORTANT), I have 3 strollers, I have lots of bottles, pacifiers etc. gotta go with nursing pillow for feeding and for toys that doorway jumper.

I use prefolds and thirsties cloth diapers to. Much Much cheaper than disposables. For cloth get those, but if not using cloth that's fine to.

I change my guys on a waterproof mat on the floor. It is 1000 times better than a changing table. Because we do naked tummy time, play with them before and after changing... we do tons of floor time, and just change a diaper while we are down there.

I didn't have much help with the cleaning. Would have been great, but everyone who came to help me wanted to give them a bottle instead of helping me clean but I was breastfeeding so had to constantly tell them (my mom mostly) no. *sigh* Yes, help cleaning would have been nice.

Oh wait, an infant scale. I found that reduced my worries when breastfeeding. If you start to doubt your supply etc. you just weigh the baby and make sure they are gaining properly. Well worth the money. Pillow trumps it, but it is still a great thing to have for $30 from amazon.com. It also is a standing toddler scale for when they get bigger. Regular scales don't weight things less than 50 pounds very accurately, and infants not at all!

The best gift I got was my double electric breast pump... and the Kiddopotamus swaddlers! That is a tie actually. No, swaddlers win. Those velcro swaddlers will give you an extra couple hours of sleep or so a night. You want those very very much. Just 1 is fine. Costs about $12.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment